No cockle shells here, some stones.. When we think of gardens (particularly here in Durban) we often think luscious green… On the contrary, my mother, Helen, has created a unique and interesting garden mainly using stones, pot plants, succulents and cacti… I think the pics speak for themselves. Isn’t it cool? (more…)
I planted this tree (known as Naboom or umPapha) a few years back not knowing how big it would get. Turns out, its going to be huge and near impossible to cut down due to its poisonous sap. Luckily it has room to grow and I find its flowers and berries rather beautiful. Birds are […]
Today is the first International First Love Day over at BridgetMcNulty.com. As this is a gardening blog, I’ll stick to the first plant I loved and the first plant which got me into gardening, a little cactus I blogged about a few months ago. What were the first plant(s) that got you interested in gardening?
In an earlier post, my mom asked for help identifying a cactus she has in her garden. Ross came to the rescue, pointing out that it is a Cereus peruviana and a category 1 invader! Needless to say, she now wants it out of her garden but if we cut it down with a panga […]
These cacti are a fairly common occurrence in Durban and other parts of South Africa. They have an amazing flower that only opens at night and early morning. Commonly known as the Princess / Queen of the Night, the nightblooming cereus, which I have in my garden and had always assumed was indigenous, does in fact originate from Central America, […]
- Patrick: We can talk about it if you call me on 0838876803...
- Patrick: We have them a lot in my country call my number 08...
- Marilize: Hi, where in Gaborone can I find Comfrey plant? T...
- Kirstin Scott: A friend suggested that thin orange electric fence...
- Annelle Kurtz: Toos van den Berg also has them for sale : she has...
- Companion Planting Competition November 16, 2011
- How cool is spekboom? February 12, 2009
- Wanted: Jade vine creeper July 17, 2012
- Syringas March 11, 2009
- WIN: The Lazy Man’s Guide to Saving the World July 2, 2013
- August 20, 2015
- The Shore Break August 20, 2015
- The Witness Garden Show 2015 July 23, 2015
- South Africa’s Plastic Recycling Statistics for 2014 July 1, 2015
- Help identifying tree often used in landscaping June 23, 2015