Two cousins, one proposed mining project on ancestral land and a battle of epic proportions.In the Amadiba area, on South Africa’s stunning Wild Coast, the Pondo people have tended their traditional way of life for centuries. Nonhle, a young local eco-tour guide, is a staunch supporter of her people and the endangered environment on which […]
I have posted a fair bit on the proposed mining of Xolobeni in the Eastern Cape, the local opposition to it and the hardball tactics that the Australian-backed mining company has used to go ahead with its plans to mine the ilmenite-rich coast. Conflict over the mining of the Xolobeni area have resurfaced. Follow the Sustaining […]
King Justice Mpondombini Sigcau of the amaMpondo passed away at Nelson Mandela Academic Hospital in Mthatha after suffering a stroke. He had served as the amaMpondo king from December 1978. President Zuma stated: “This is indeed a great loss to South Africa. The king was a great and admired leader, who worked tirelessly for his people, building […]
Hello from the Wild Coast, Sustaining the Wild Coast (SWC) are highly concerned that the Department of Mineral Resources is entertaining new attempts by MRC, the Australian company with an interest in mining the Wild Coast, and their South African subsidiary TEM, to renew their prospecting licence for the Kwanyana block at Xolobeni along Pondoland’s Wild […]
It seems that for the time being the mining has been halted at Xolobeni. According to Sustaining the Wild Coast, the latest threat to the environment and sustainable development in the area is the proposed toll road (dubbed ‘Troll Road’). It says, “Delegates to COP 17 in Durban must watch this film if they wish […]
- NIK: Looks like a Mimosa tree to me....
- Beth White: I have a River indigo tree that has seeded itself ...
- Jessica: Those are almost certainly Makowe mushrooms which ...
- itumeleng maduna: Hey ,i'm presently having a project at school and...
- Shmuel Goldstein: Potato plants are NOT poisonous for rock rabbits. ...
- Companion Planting Competition November 16, 2011
- How cool is spekboom? February 12, 2009
- Wanted: Jade vine creeper July 17, 2012
- Syringas March 11, 2009
- WIN: The Lazy Man’s Guide to Saving the World July 2, 2013
- August 20, 2015
- The Shore Break August 20, 2015
- The Witness Garden Show 2015 July 23, 2015
- South Africa’s Plastic Recycling Statistics for 2014 July 1, 2015
- Help identifying tree often used in landscaping June 23, 2015