The Durban Film Festival starts on Thursday and this year they have a few environmental films worth checking out. The global climate crisis informs five documentaries in this year’s festival. The Foster Brothers’ epistemologically revolutionary The Nature Of Life addresses climate change from a unique African perspective and showcases innovative local solutions. H20IL examines the […]
I’m a big fan of home made things and crafty re-use, so I had to share this garden related note from Craft Magazine (via Facebook) – something for people with a small balcony and aspirations for a herb garden.
Some advice from the latest Enviropaedia newsletter: Always water your plants during the early morning hours or in the evening. Between 10:00 and 15:00 you can lose up to 90% of water to evaporation. Focus on indigenous and non–invasive alien plants with low water demands. Roof water can also be profitably stored in tanks for […]
This post is not specifically about gardening but more about the environment and specifically recycling. There is a great company that has recently started operating in Durban called Earth Green Recycling. They offer a service where, for only R50.00 per month, they will come and collect all your recyclables, i.e. paper, plastic, cans and bottles. […]
A recent study in the Eastern Cape has highlighted the fact that the humble spekboom (or ‘elephant’s food’ as it is also known) has an amazing ability to soak up CO2, equivalent to that of sub-tropical forests. Findings suggest that up to four tons of carbon a year would be captured by each hectare. This […]
- Lulama: Hi guys, I'm looking on farming Comfrey but I nee...
- Tracey: I have bitter gourd seed. Please email me what exo...
- Sandra Pool: Does this tree like water. We have an underground...
- nakampe mahasha: is bulbine latifolia as good as bulbine natalensis...
- Maggie: Help please, they are climbing into our vehicles a...
- Companion Planting Competition November 16, 2011
- How cool is spekboom? February 12, 2009
- Wanted: Jade vine creeper July 17, 2012
- Syringas March 11, 2009
- WIN: The Lazy Man’s Guide to Saving the World July 2, 2013
- August 20, 2015
- The Shore Break August 20, 2015
- The Witness Garden Show 2015 July 23, 2015
- South Africa’s Plastic Recycling Statistics for 2014 July 1, 2015
- Help identifying tree often used in landscaping June 23, 2015