Here’s some info I found on Spekboom’s distribution in South Africa. Addo Elephant National Park Spekboom (Portulacaria Afra) grows in abundance in the drier parts of the Eastern Cape, especially on the high plateau Karoo hill slopes or flats (c. 400 to 1,060 meters above sea level) and is particularly prominent in the Addo bush […]
Spekboom is alive and well , and growing… I came across a new initiative dedicated to promoting the planting of Spekboom trees. The Spekboom Carbon and Poverty Alleviation Project aims to: (more…)
Unfortunately it has been very dry on this side of the world. For spekboom to be dying you must know when need a bit more rain. I have planted a number of trees that are surviving but not really growing. Given a bit more time and rain things will get better and more planting will […]
From the Spekboom Carbon and Poverty Alleviation Project. Sounds interesting: “John Sachs from Barrydale has set up a factory in our village manufacturing COMPOTS – these are containers made from 100% compost, which is the greenest possible way in which to distribute Spekboom (and other plants for that matter). The compot containers can be planted […]
My dear husband and I have recently returned from a two-week road trip 1000km from our home town. One of our stops was Gamkaskloof or ‘Die Hel’ a remote area of the Swartberg in the Karoo. We saw some amazing things, but one of the many beautiful things that made my heart beat faster (apart […]
- NIK: Looks like a Mimosa tree to me....
- Beth White: I have a River indigo tree that has seeded itself ...
- Jessica: Those are almost certainly Makowe mushrooms which ...
- itumeleng maduna: Hey ,i'm presently having a project at school and...
- Shmuel Goldstein: Potato plants are NOT poisonous for rock rabbits. ...
- Companion Planting Competition November 16, 2011
- How cool is spekboom? February 12, 2009
- Wanted: Jade vine creeper July 17, 2012
- Syringas March 11, 2009
- WIN: The Lazy Man’s Guide to Saving the World July 2, 2013
- August 20, 2015
- The Shore Break August 20, 2015
- The Witness Garden Show 2015 July 23, 2015
- South Africa’s Plastic Recycling Statistics for 2014 July 1, 2015
- Help identifying tree often used in landscaping June 23, 2015