Hello from the Wild Coast, Sustaining the Wild Coast (SWC) are highly concerned that the Department of Mineral Resources is entertaining new attempts by MRC, the Australian company with an interest in mining the Wild Coast, and their South African subsidiary TEM, to renew their prospecting licence for the Kwanyana block at Xolobeni along Pondoland’s Wild […]
From unspoilt eco-tourism hub to dusty, mining town in 10 years? A perspective on mining in Mtunzini
HOW MINING WILL CHANGE MTUNZINI The tourism brochures boast about its ‘pristine coastline’ and ‘zig-zagging rivers and streams’ in a ‘clean and safe environment’. They also mention its commitment to the ‘preservation of its natural heritage’. But if mining giant Exxaro KZN Sands gets its way, all this could be lost for future generations who […]
Now that I have you attention… Wild Coast on 50/50 Part One of a two part update on the Wild Coast Mining and ‘Troll Road’ will be broadcast today, Monday 26 Sept, on 50/50 on SABC 2 starting at 7.30pm. Part 2 will go out the following week on 3rd October. This will feature plans for the […]
I have just helped out setting up the social media links for Sustaining the Wild Coast (SWC). SWC is a civil society organization (Section 21 Company not for gain) whose aim is to promote sustainable solutions for the Wild Coast of South Africa through ‘grassroots’ involvement of rural Wild Coast communities in research, education and sustainable […]
This is a cross-post from Andreas Spath who has a PhD in geochemistry and manages Lobby Books, the independent book shop at Idasa’s Cape Town Democracy Centre. Follow him on Twitter: @Andreas_Spath You and I will be forgiven for never having heard of Verlorenvlei, but Ms Susan Shabangu should not be. She is, after all, […]
- BestVida: I have noticed you don't monetize sprig.co.za, do...
- Rakesh: Organic Tumeric Root for Sale R75 per kg neg. Con...
- Shmuel Goldstein: Alas, that ultrasonic device "Repels" does not w...
- Michelle Simpson: My husband says Lead-shot (bullets) is the best so...
- NIK: Looks like a Mimosa tree to me....
- Companion Planting Competition November 16, 2011
- How cool is spekboom? February 12, 2009
- Wanted: Jade vine creeper July 17, 2012
- Syringas March 11, 2009
- Plants to scare off rock dassies? July 9, 2012
- August 20, 2015
- The Shore Break August 20, 2015
- The Witness Garden Show 2015 July 23, 2015
- South Africa’s Plastic Recycling Statistics for 2014 July 1, 2015
- Help identifying tree often used in landscaping June 23, 2015