Last year my wife and I visited the Redwood National and State Parks along the Redwood Highway. There is a patchwork of these parks and we drove through all of them but focussed on the national park and Prairie Creek. We stayed in our little cabin in Trinidad, a tiny coastal town right near the […]
Planting and utilising trees for people’s survival needs has been a part of human culture for thousands of years, but in the relatively recent past, about 30-40 years, tree-planting seems to have become something of a cult. This has been driven by a number of factors including the perception or belief that planting trees will […]
My wife and I have been travelling in the USA checking out some of the incredible national and state parks along the Pacific Coast. We visited La Push, the westernmost ZIP Code in the Contiguous United States and to some really dramatic nature. The name La Push is an infusion of the French la bouche, meaning “mouth”, into Chinook Jargon. We had […]
Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Minister Tina Joemat-Pettersson has declared three indigenous trees “champion trees”. During every Arbor Week, which is celebrated annually from 1 to 7 September, two or three trees are placed under protection. The trees are selected from commonly found trees species and rare tree species. Barringtonia racemosa, which is commonly known as Powder-puff tree […]
Across the road from my office in Cape Town is this awesome tree (some kinda fig, I’d guess) with a massive aerial root structure. More info anyone?
- Yvonne Langeveldt: Hi Donovan, hope I am not to late, If there is sti...
- A Jordaan: Hi I am looking for comfrey tuberose not the comfr...
- Anthony: Good day anyone looking for bitter melon cuttings ...
- Audrey: Hi Donovan, looking for the Jade Vine, I am in Cap...
- Estelle Kuys: Hi I used kava kava about 18 years ago. I was so r...
- Companion Planting Competition November 16, 2011
- How cool is spekboom? February 12, 2009
- Wanted: Jade vine creeper July 17, 2012
- Syringas March 11, 2009
- WIN: The Lazy Man’s Guide to Saving the World July 2, 2013
- August 20, 2015
- The Shore Break August 20, 2015
- The Witness Garden Show 2015 July 23, 2015
- South Africa’s Plastic Recycling Statistics for 2014 July 1, 2015
- Help identifying tree often used in landscaping June 23, 2015