Our permaculture garden is thriving and we have now started harvesting vegetables, mainly lettuce and radish, but yesterday we ate beetroot from the garden and it was delicious. The beans, peppers and eggplants all have flowers on them and will be growing fruit soon, I’m sure. The garden has required little to no attention after […]
Here is a link from my sister-in-law (she’s a crafty blogger). It explains how to make a worm composter. After originally investigating buying one, I’ve now decided to try and make it myself. At the permaculture workshop last week I met someone who has kindly offered to donate some worms to get me started and […]
On Saturday I attended a permaculture workshop at the Durban Botanic Gardens run by Bharathi Tugh and her husband Reggie. Both are experienced permaculturists and work extensively with schools in KwaZulu-Natal through the Woolworths Eduplant Trust and Food & Trees for Africa. The workshop was well attended and dealt with some fascinating topics, including the […]
Some advice from the latest Enviropaedia newsletter: Always water your plants during the early morning hours or in the evening. Between 10:00 and 15:00 you can lose up to 90% of water to evaporation. Focus on indigenous and non–invasive alien plants with low water demands. Roof water can also be profitably stored in tanks for […]
This post is not specifically about gardening but more about the environment and specifically recycling. There is a great company that has recently started operating in Durban called Earth Green Recycling. They offer a service where, for only R50.00 per month, they will come and collect all your recyclables, i.e. paper, plastic, cans and bottles. […]
- BestVida: I have noticed you don't monetize sprig.co.za, do...
- Rakesh: Organic Tumeric Root for Sale R75 per kg neg. Con...
- Shmuel Goldstein: Alas, that ultrasonic device "Repels" does not w...
- Michelle Simpson: My husband says Lead-shot (bullets) is the best so...
- NIK: Looks like a Mimosa tree to me....
- Companion Planting Competition November 16, 2011
- How cool is spekboom? February 12, 2009
- Wanted: Jade vine creeper July 17, 2012
- Syringas March 11, 2009
- Plants to scare off rock dassies? July 9, 2012
- August 20, 2015
- The Shore Break August 20, 2015
- The Witness Garden Show 2015 July 23, 2015
- South Africa’s Plastic Recycling Statistics for 2014 July 1, 2015
- Help identifying tree often used in landscaping June 23, 2015