A little while back my wife and I made the trip to Papkuilsfontein near Nieuwoudtville in the Northern Cape. There is loads to do (bird-watching, hiking, trail running, swimming) or nothing. We opted for much of the latter but when we did there was a world of plant and animal life to explore. Parts of Papkuilsfontein have been […]
The team at the Woza eNanda Walking Trail are busy doing a clean-up of the area, with a focus on clearing alien plants. To this end their resident horticulturalist, Lindelani Zuke, has written a blog post on some of the indigenous plants found in Inanda, asking for feedback from the community regarding what the different plants are […]
Do you know if there is an indigenous raspberry plant? I was given about 5 raspberry bushes which i was told are indigenous, but I cannot find any information on them. The bush doesn’t grow very tall (about waist height), and the raspberries are a different red to the ones I have seen in stores, […]
Invasive animals are just as detrimental to the environment and conservation efforts as invasive plants. Mallard ducks (Anas platyrhynchos) threaten the genetic integrity of some indigenous ducks, while house crows (Corvus splendens) compete against indigenous bird species for resources and spread human enteric diseases. These are just two examples of many alien invasive animals threatening […]
As promised, here are the Cape Sundews growing in a tub within a tub, and so prolific, they get weeded out and thrown away. If anyone would like some, bring a small pot and peat moss. We also have a rainwater tank so could give some bottles of rainwater.
- LT: Hi I want Wild Indigo, scientific name Baptisia ti...
- Sanet: I have 1m + size Jade vines available please conta...
- BM Gordon: Hi. I am also looking for Karela or bitter gourd s...
- Mary: The slinga berry ( syringa, China berry etc) ...an...
- Patrick: We can talk about it if you call me on 0838876803...
- Companion Planting Competition November 16, 2011
- How cool is spekboom? February 12, 2009
- Wanted: Jade vine creeper July 17, 2012
- Syringas March 11, 2009
- WIN: The Lazy Man’s Guide to Saving the World July 2, 2013
- August 20, 2015
- The Shore Break August 20, 2015
- The Witness Garden Show 2015 July 23, 2015
- South Africa’s Plastic Recycling Statistics for 2014 July 1, 2015
- Help identifying tree often used in landscaping June 23, 2015