An interesting course being held at the Durban Botanic Gardens, details below.
Why kitchen gardening? Kitchen Gardeners are food lovers and true gastronomes of the highest order. The enjoyment of food is a complete experience extending beyond the plate to the soil, taking in the natural processes and cycles responsible for the source of good food. Kitchen gardeners are in tune with the natural world, local weather, and seasons, working peacefully and harmoniously with, rather than fighting against Nature.
Become a true steward of the land whether your plot is a farm sized suburban garden or a humble window-box. Join experienced permaculturist Bharathi Tugh on a Saturday course that covers:
- Permaculture & kitchen gardening principles
- Soil conditioning techniques and ‘green teas’ for feeding
- Making compost heaps and fertility beds
- Designing & setting up a kitchen garden
- Plant selection, companion plants & crop rotation
- Pest and disease management (organic remedies)
- Creative container gardening