I recently watched Food Inc., which offers some interesting insight into the industrialised production of food in America and which I presume has relevance for us in South Africa, although on a smaller scale. I then came across this well written article on Fair Cape milk and how it uses the the term, ‘Free Range’ […]
From this week to next (1st – 7th September) is National Arbor Week. Part of the celebrations include the selection of three indigenous trees as National Trees of the Year, which this year are: Jacket-plum or bushveld cherry tree (Pappea capensis). Bride’s bush (Pavetta spp.) Common wild elder (Nuxia congesta) For more details on these […]
This is an amalgamation of various emails that have been sent in by Tuffy, Nedbank, Woolworths and Caturra Coffee. – mol-d Many product manufacturers are guilty of ‘greenwashing’ with their claims of green, eco-friendly or organic; misleading consumers into believing they are purchasing green products, when in fact they are buying into marketing claims. This […]
The Wafalme kids, a group of 16 young, talented Kenyans between the ages of nine and 23, are spreading the word about the impact of climate change through hip-hop. They recently won the MTV Positive Climate Award with their video, ‘Trash is Cash’. One of the kids is traveling to Denmark in December to the Climate […]
Details from the ACT site but definitely worth passing on… One hectare of Pappea capensis trees can produce approximately 1560 litres of biodiesel per annum, estimate value: R10,000/ha. Leaves of Pappea capensis are browsed by game, birds, livestock and butterflies and there are numerous medicinal uses for the roots, bark and leaves. Fruit from the […]
- Vusi: I am looking for seeds for iboza very urgent ...
- Personal Yoga studio!? Ahh.. a girl can dream, right?: […] Read More […]...
- Rakesh Singh: I am selling 100% Raw Organic Tumeric Root. We'v...
- Trizar: Good day I am a graduate in Horticultural stud...
- Lynette: Hi Jan, please let me know if and where I can also...
- Companion Planting Competition November 16, 2011
- How cool is spekboom? February 12, 2009
- Wanted: Jade vine creeper July 17, 2012
- Syringas March 11, 2009
- Plants to scare off rock dassies? July 9, 2012
- August 20, 2015
- The Shore Break August 20, 2015
- The Witness Garden Show 2015 July 23, 2015
- South Africa’s Plastic Recycling Statistics for 2014 July 1, 2015
- Help identifying tree often used in landscaping June 23, 2015