The Durban Botanic Gardens, Tafta, Ogwini Comprehensive High School, Sastri College and Ridge Park Girls College are going to participate in the “Trees and Memory Workshop on June 23, 2010 .
This project’s objectives are two-fold.
- Bring together seniors and school-going youth to enable them to share their stories and associations with trees. The process will help revive the lost art of story-telling, and this would be a way for the older generation to share and leave their stories with children. This will lead to learning, healing, growth and a greater tolerance of each generation by the other.
- Bring to awareness the unprecedented changes made to ecosystems in recent decades to meet growing demands for food and other ecosystems services. These changes have weakened nature’s ability to deliver its vital services. There is an urgent need to stem the tide on habitat loss and degradation, the increasing use of natural resources, invasive alien plants, pollution, global warming and climate change. Fostering respect and love for trees is a means to mitigate the impact on the environment.
We look forward to meeting you on June 23, 2010.
Chandra Naidu Project Manager 0828382945
Trees and Memory – a Journey Through Time
PROGRAMME FOR 23 JUNE
VENUE – DURBAN BOTANIC GARDENS
- 8h30 – 9h00 – Registration
- 9h00 – 10h00 Indigenous Games
- 10h00 – 10h30 – tea/coffee and scones
- 10h30 – 11h30 – Speakers 1. Message from Gcina Hlope 2. Troy Govender – Environmental Advisor for Eskom 3 . Rep from Dept of Social Development
- 11h30 – 13h30 – Story telling
- 13h30 – 14h30 – Bring and share picnic lunch
- 14h30 – 14h45 – Sona Singh’s entertainment session
- 14h45 – 15h30 – More story telling
- 15h30 – 16h00 – Afternoon teas
- Leaf hanging Ceremony on “Memory Tree”
- Vote of thanks