Whilst picking the spinach for the spinach and ricotta pie today, (she boasts) I spied that the beets were sticking out above the ground, so I pulled some out – but they’re white inside! What? I vaguely remember that we had a packet of “Italian beetroot” seed. Unless of course that’s oversized radish boiling away […]
The nicest thing about a trip to SA (in Mar/April this year to KZN and Mpumalanga) is being newly enchanted by plants that I previously took for granted. Here’s a selection of recent favourites: palm seeds, more palm seeds, and a wonderful elephant tusk plant in the shadow of night, a succulent that offers its […]
Here’s some info I found on Spekboom’s distribution in South Africa. Addo Elephant National Park Spekboom (Portulacaria Afra) grows in abundance in the drier parts of the Eastern Cape, especially on the high plateau Karoo hill slopes or flats (c. 400 to 1,060 meters above sea level) and is particularly prominent in the Addo bush […]
As I’m sure everyone is well aware, the 2010 Fifa World Cup is in full swing in South Africa. I’n happy to say we, as a country, are really supportive of the event and, in an unusual show of national pride, are flying South African flags. Houses, cars, shops and restaurants are festooned with flags […]
During this lovely summer in ‘Broke(n) Britain’, and we have to come to grips with the fact that the country is in more debt than post WWII, a fun phenomenon has taken hold – guerilla gardening! What it means is that people just garden anywhere in this overcrowded urban space (London). In our case, we […]
- Personal Yoga studio!? Ahh.. a girl can dream, right?: […] Read More […]...
- Rakesh Singh: I am selling 100% Raw Organic Tumeric Root. We'v...
- Trizar: Good day I am a graduate in Horticultural stud...
- Lynette: Hi Jan, please let me know if and where I can also...
- Anja: I don't even know how I stopped up here, but I a...
- Companion Planting Competition November 16, 2011
- How cool is spekboom? February 12, 2009
- Wanted: Jade vine creeper July 17, 2012
- Syringas March 11, 2009
- Plants to scare off rock dassies? July 9, 2012
- August 20, 2015
- The Shore Break August 20, 2015
- The Witness Garden Show 2015 July 23, 2015
- South Africa’s Plastic Recycling Statistics for 2014 July 1, 2015
- Help identifying tree often used in landscaping June 23, 2015