A couple of years back I planted a fever tree outside our gate. The tree never really took off. It didn’t die or look sickly, it just never seemed to grow. I put it down to the fact that the soil I had planted it in was this terrible, sandy, red earth and decided to […]
I’ve been told they are indigenous and that they are also used as a protection plant of sorts in Zulu culture. That is all I know. Anyone got any more to say?
Despite a name that suggests a love child of the ’60s, River Indigo (Indigofera Frutescens) is a most practical small tree and a forest ‘starter’ that grows like lightening. I planted one to replace an exotic and thought it was going to take years to rise to the challenge. Eight months later it has almost […]
These cacti are a fairly common occurrence in Durban and other parts of South Africa. They have an amazing flower that only opens at night and early morning. Commonly known as the Princess / Queen of the Night, the nightblooming cereus, which I have in my garden and had always assumed was indigenous, does in fact originate from Central America, […]
I’d never been a fan of planting flowers just for the sake of flowers but was given a tray of gazanias a while back and I must admit they are pretty great. They are indigenous, from Namaqualand and the South-western Cape and like sun, lots of it. They flower profusely in winter and spring and […]
- LT: Hi I want Wild Indigo, scientific name Baptisia ti...
- Sanet: I have 1m + size Jade vines available please conta...
- BM Gordon: Hi. I am also looking for Karela or bitter gourd s...
- Mary: The slinga berry ( syringa, China berry etc) ...an...
- Patrick: We can talk about it if you call me on 0838876803...
- Companion Planting Competition November 16, 2011
- How cool is spekboom? February 12, 2009
- Wanted: Jade vine creeper July 17, 2012
- Syringas March 11, 2009
- WIN: The Lazy Man’s Guide to Saving the World July 2, 2013
- August 20, 2015
- The Shore Break August 20, 2015
- The Witness Garden Show 2015 July 23, 2015
- South Africa’s Plastic Recycling Statistics for 2014 July 1, 2015
- Help identifying tree often used in landscaping June 23, 2015