I went down to Clansdale on the KwaZulu-Natal South Coast last weekend. In the garden of the house we had rented was a dead tree and on the trunk this amazing fungi was growing. Normally I would just appreciate it for its beauty but I had recently been reading Pitta Joffe’s Creative Gardening with Indigenous […]
Just a short post – my Cape Honeysuckle has trailed up a Wild Fig tree and is flowering in the top branches. The bright orange contrasts strikingly with the dark green fig leaves and as the tree grows its going to drag the honeysuckle up with it. Its the start of a wonderful relationship …
This green bin is essential for any garden. You can get them from most hardware shops and some nurseries for about R600. I’ve always had a compost heap but this bin keeps any food waste away from the monkeys and the heat it generates speeds up the composting process. I put grass cuttings, weeds and […]
I picked up this interesting-looking pot plant last week at the Shongweni Farmers Market (for a cool R100!). The guy selling it didn’t have much information for me but could tell me it was part of the Ipomoea family. From Wikipedia, “The genus Ipomoea (Greek Ips, Ipos, worm or bindweed and Homoeos, resembling, referring to […]
I really do love aloes and the aloe tenuior (Basutho Kraal Aloe, inhlaba empofu) in my garden is currently flowering. This plant forms a thick shrub with spikes of red flowers shooting off it, attracting both whitebellied and Black Sunbirds. The plant is also used as a protective charm by inyangas and a remedy (made […]
- Personal Yoga studio!? Ahh.. a girl can dream, right?: […] Read More […]...
- Rakesh Singh: I am selling 100% Raw Organic Tumeric Root. We'v...
- Trizar: Good day I am a graduate in Horticultural stud...
- Lynette: Hi Jan, please let me know if and where I can also...
- Anja: I don't even know how I stopped up here, but I a...
- Companion Planting Competition November 16, 2011
- How cool is spekboom? February 12, 2009
- Wanted: Jade vine creeper July 17, 2012
- Syringas March 11, 2009
- Plants to scare off rock dassies? July 9, 2012
- August 20, 2015
- The Shore Break August 20, 2015
- The Witness Garden Show 2015 July 23, 2015
- South Africa’s Plastic Recycling Statistics for 2014 July 1, 2015
- Help identifying tree often used in landscaping June 23, 2015