I thought it was interesting that one of our readers, Ansie, asked which plant to use to keep snakes away, “Wat kan ek plant in die tuin om die huis om slange wêg te hou?”. Ansie commented on ‘Snake Charms‘ and I suggested Wild Garlic (Tulbaghia violacea), apparently cultivated to keep snakes away from the [...]
I have just started looking at possibilities for a small garden in my flat and found that there is already a wild garlic plant growing… We have already discussed its varied uses but it seems to have a few more….
One of my all time favourite indigenous plants, and also very popular with landscapers in Durban, is the Wild Garlic (Tulbaghia violacea or Isihaqa). It grows in clumps of grey-green, strappy leaves that smell strongly of garlic when bruised or, in fact, even when watered. Beautiful purple flowers appear at the end of stalks throughout [...]
Garden and Home Profile
- Niall: Andre, I would water it once a week or so. They ar...
- Andre Diederichs: Hi I have juts planted a spekboom in a pot. It is...
- Sanford W. Mann: You probably had the "nice" marigolds--deodorize...
- Samantha van riet: Great article-we should be planting vegetable in e...
- JuliannaGee: Kloof SPCA has a few of these growing on the large...
- Companion Planting Competition November 16, 2011
- How cool is spekboom? February 12, 2009
- Syringas March 11, 2009
- Spring has Sprung Competition September 13, 2012
- Mystery plant February 17, 2010
- Crops planted on rooftops, underground create new jobs, lower temperatures June 10, 2013
- OFFERED: Spekboom and campfire crassula June 5, 2013
- Awesome green wall June 4, 2013
- Hello again! June 4, 2013
- Seeds or seedlings? May 26, 2013
Follow @SPRIGBLOG on Twitter