Seeds or seedlings? Using seedlings is easier and saves time, but the variety of available vegetables is limited. Choose the strongest, healthiest looking plants. If the seedlings start out weak, they will always struggle to grow and your harvest will be small. Growing vegetables from seed can be challenging. I planted only seedlings for the [...]
Hi there, I am in Midrand and was hoping you could advise where i could get a comfrey plant or some seeds. Thanks, Avi
This is an inspiring story from the States. South Africa, take note! Despite the cold and snow, some signs of spring are starting to break through in Colorado. The public library in the small town of Basalt is trying an experiment: In addition to borrowing books, residents can now check out seeds. In a corner [...]
You are invited to attend GREEN LIVING EAST LONDON, MARCH MEETING Where: Enviro Centre at Nahoon Estuary Reserve, Bonza Bay When: 17th March Time: 14:30 to 16:00pm Programme: “Seeds of Change” At this meeting we will be exploring the topic of ‘seeds’, those magical little entities! We will kick-start the meeting with a short talk by [...]
Hi All, I am looking for seeds of Acacia xanthophloea ( Fever Tree ) Can anyone help or advise on where I could obtain some / Thanks JennyE
I came across this the other day, a South African seed company, the Gravel Garden, which sells a large variety of vegetable seeds, some of which are heirloom plants. Click here for the seed list and get growing…
Hello, I will be traveling to Cape Town and then on to Mozambique next week. Do you know if it is legal to carry vegetable seeds into the country? I’ve been searching online for info without success. Thanks, Helen Broughton
My mom got some coriander seeds from a friend the other day and kindly passed some on to me. For those of you who cook with the seeds this may seem like an obvious observation, but I never thought the seeds would be so big! Anyway, my mom’s friend suggested planting a few seeds every [...]
Hello Seed Savers, You may be interested in our new website called SeedLiving for buying, selling and swapping open pollinated seeds and live plants. It is entirely a pay what you can website. You may also post news & tips for free as well as events. The site is international although we are based in [...]
Garden and Home Profile
- Niall: Andre, I would water it once a week or so. They ar...
- Andre Diederichs: Hi I have juts planted a spekboom in a pot. It is...
- Sanford W. Mann: You probably had the "nice" marigolds--deodorize...
- Samantha van riet: Great article-we should be planting vegetable in e...
- JuliannaGee: Kloof SPCA has a few of these growing on the large...
- Companion Planting Competition November 16, 2011
- How cool is spekboom? February 12, 2009
- Syringas March 11, 2009
- Spring has Sprung Competition September 13, 2012
- Mystery plant February 17, 2010
- Crops planted on rooftops, underground create new jobs, lower temperatures June 10, 2013
- OFFERED: Spekboom and campfire crassula June 5, 2013
- Awesome green wall June 4, 2013
- Hello again! June 4, 2013
- Seeds or seedlings? May 26, 2013
Follow @SPRIGBLOG on Twitter