Hi, I received a plant as a gift the label on the pot identifies it as a Veltheimia, Snake Lily Red. When I look the name up it give me a very different plant. Could you please help me to identify the plant? I have attached some photos. It is like a grass and is [...]
My stone plant has just flowered and I wanted to share some pics of it. I always find it amazing that these hardy plants have such beautiful, delicate flowers.
A lovely young man lent me this enormous pot indefinitely and I would like it to make a statement at my front door. All the other plants are succulents. Should I stay with the theme or fill it full of colourful flowers. I would like to do it over Easter, any suggestions? – Helen McNulty [...]
I picked up this interesting-looking pot plant last week at the Shongweni Farmers Market (for a cool R100!). The guy selling it didn’t have much information for me but could tell me it was part of the Ipomoea family. From Wikipedia, “The genus Ipomoea (Greek Ips, Ipos, worm or bindweed and Homoeos, resembling, referring to [...]
I never knew this little guy was an aloe – although now that I think about it the red/orange flowers are very similar to the other, larger aloes I have. Its official name is aloe aristata and they were first ‘discovered’ in the Drakensburg in KwaZulu-Natal, but their habitat stretches from the eastern Karoo to [...]
Another post, another pot plant – but this time I do know its name and where its from. Its an Echeveria and its as Mexican as tequila and sombreros. The leaves form an attractive rosette and have a waxy feel to them. They are very easy to propagate, with a new plant growing from a [...]
This was the first plant I bought so I think its fitting that it feature in my first post on gardening. I got it from the farmers market in Westville and its been with me for over five years. It sparked my interest in plants and was the first of many succulents and cacti I [...]
Garden and Home Profile
- Niall: Andre, I would water it once a week or so. They ar...
- Andre Diederichs: Hi I have juts planted a spekboom in a pot. It is...
- Sanford W. Mann: You probably had the "nice" marigolds--deodorize...
- Samantha van riet: Great article-we should be planting vegetable in e...
- JuliannaGee: Kloof SPCA has a few of these growing on the large...
- Companion Planting Competition November 16, 2011
- How cool is spekboom? February 12, 2009
- Syringas March 11, 2009
- Spring has Sprung Competition September 13, 2012
- Mystery plant February 17, 2010
- Crops planted on rooftops, underground create new jobs, lower temperatures June 10, 2013
- OFFERED: Spekboom and campfire crassula June 5, 2013
- Awesome green wall June 4, 2013
- Hello again! June 4, 2013
- Seeds or seedlings? May 26, 2013
Follow @SPRIGBLOG on Twitter