An initiative you may be interested in.. Only two days to go til planting season, Spriggers! So grab your seeds and get ready to plant South Africa… Planting Season is an initiative to get South Africans to plant an organic vegetable in their home or office on 23rd September. Add your name to the list [...]
“Located in the scenic Amathole region of the Eastern Cape in South Africa, Essential Amathole has been established to produce a range of organic essential oils and medicinal plant extracts for the global market”. Still and nursery in Hogsback As many of you know, I keep returning to Hogsback, and Essential Amathole is one of [...]
As a follow on from Niall’s post, here is a simple guide to building your own permaculture vegetable garden. It is supereasy and rewarding – here is an update on the food garden 2.0 just 11 days after Niall’s pic: Anyhoo, now to the steps…
Khanyisa Projects is assisting in the implementation of community garden projects in the eThekwini Municipality as part of the Integrated Water Resource Management (IWRM) Programme. The garden groups (from KwaMashu, Mzinyathi & Maphephetheni) will be selling their produce at the I Heart Market between 8h30 – 13h00 on Saturday, 11 July at St Mary’s Church [...]
Inspired by the Durban Botanic Gardens permaculture course we attended, my mom and myself set about creating a small garden of our own. We first created the border of the bed using old bricks we found in the garden. We then layered the bed with cardboard, then dead organic matter (dry leaves), then live organic [...]
On Saturday I attended a permaculture workshop at the Durban Botanic Gardens run by Bharathi Tugh and her husband Reggie. Both are experienced permaculturists and work extensively with schools in KwaZulu-Natal through the Woolworths Eduplant Trust and Food & Trees for Africa. The workshop was well attended and dealt with some fascinating topics, including the [...]
At the moment I am not growing any food (apart from Spekboom I guess) but I would like to start a small vegetable/herb garden. I am also interested in organic gardening but don’t really know much about it. I came across these courses offered by Dovehouse Organic Farms and think I may attend one. Has [...]
Garden and Home Profile
- Mkhuleko Innocent Malinga: dats probably a calliandra selloi,we have at skul ...
- mol-d: i will second that, niall :-D...
- JuliannaGee: What about chili paste? Grind in a liquidiser for ...
- Niall: thanks Lorraine, you are a mine of information!...
- Lorraine: This delightful succulent is commonly called 'Don...
- Companion Planting Competition November 16, 2011
- How cool is spekboom? February 12, 2009
- Syringas March 11, 2009
- Spring has Sprung Competition September 13, 2012
- Mystery plant February 17, 2010
- My name is Jade May 19, 2013
- Chilli chilli May 19, 2013
- Best Marigold May 18, 2013
- Please help: what are these lovely plants? May 16, 2013
- Yellow Poinsettia May 15, 2013
Follow @SPRIGBLOG on Twitter