In an earlier post, my mom asked for help identifying a cactus she has in her garden. Ross came to the rescue, pointing out that it is a Cereus peruviana and a category 1 invader! Needless to say, she now wants it out of her garden but if we cut it down with a panga [...]
Syringas are my most hated of alien, invasive plants in Durban. They spread like wildfire, grow easily in this climate and are a task to remove. Since coming back to Durban last October I have seen more and more of them, and it seems that many people (myself included) don’t know the details. A few [...]
I remember as a kid getting lectured at school about the evils of lantana – I think I even went on a school trip to clear it out of our neighbourhood. Back then it was the number one invader species in Durban and everyone was out to get it (see more about invader species and, [...]
Garden and Home Profile
- Niall: Andre, I would water it once a week or so. They ar...
- Andre Diederichs: Hi I have juts planted a spekboom in a pot. It is...
- Sanford W. Mann: You probably had the "nice" marigolds--deodorize...
- Samantha van riet: Great article-we should be planting vegetable in e...
- JuliannaGee: Kloof SPCA has a few of these growing on the large...
- Companion Planting Competition November 16, 2011
- How cool is spekboom? February 12, 2009
- Syringas March 11, 2009
- Spring has Sprung Competition September 13, 2012
- Mystery plant February 17, 2010
- Crops planted on rooftops, underground create new jobs, lower temperatures June 10, 2013
- OFFERED: Spekboom and campfire crassula June 5, 2013
- Awesome green wall June 4, 2013
- Hello again! June 4, 2013
- Seeds or seedlings? May 26, 2013
Follow @SPRIGBLOG on Twitter