We have this ficus growing at the top of our bank. My one son feels we should chop it down but I am unsure. Would its root structure not support the bank or could it damage the retaining wall?
Hello Spriggers We’ve recently painted our house and these charming little birds have taken to sitting on the drainpipes and watching us have our breakfast. Unfortunately, there droppings are not so charming and have ruined our paintwork. Is there any friendly way to discourage them?
I planted these containers several months back, with slips from various succulents. They’ve all thrived and looking fantastic, in autumn colours.
Hi there, I am in Midrand and was hoping you could advise where i could get a comfrey plant or some seeds. Thanks, Avi
Man Invents Machine To Convert Plastic Into Oil The machine, produced in various sizes, for both industrial and home uses, can easily transform a kilogram of plastic waste into a litre of oil, using about 1 kW·h of electricity but without emitting CO2 in the process. The machine uses a temperature controlling electric heater instead [...]
Your extra plants make great gifts for gardening friends. Plants like berries and herbs often multiply by making little baby plants around the big plant like these are strawberry plants. When you sow seedlings for your garden, you can always sow a few extra to give away as gifts. Origami newspaper pots Origami newspaper pots are the [...]
This is too cool! Picture a tiny drone that arises from your vegetable garden to shoo away hungry deer. Or maybe a houseplant that, when you’re away, meanders through your rooms like a cat following a sunbeam. Or one that posts a request for water on Twitter. The future is knocking at the door of home [...]
Can someone help me? My cacti and succulents get this weird fungal growth on them. It looks terrible and eventually they become quite unhappy. What is it and how do I go about curing it?
My dog has plant ‘friends’, certain plants that he spends time next to. They are generally leafy with space for him to stand underneath. Is this normal behaviour or is he a special dog?
Help! My palm is covered in what looks like soot. A friend suggested it could be a fungus of some sort. Anyone recognise it and can recommend a cure?
Garden and Home Profile
- Mkhuleko Innocent Malinga: dats probably a calliandra selloi,we have at skul ...
- mol-d: i will second that, niall :-D...
- JuliannaGee: What about chili paste? Grind in a liquidiser for ...
- Niall: thanks Lorraine, you are a mine of information!...
- Lorraine: This delightful succulent is commonly called 'Don...
- Companion Planting Competition November 16, 2011
- How cool is spekboom? February 12, 2009
- Syringas March 11, 2009
- Spring has Sprung Competition September 13, 2012
- Mystery plant February 17, 2010
- My name is Jade May 19, 2013
- Chilli chilli May 19, 2013
- Best Marigold May 18, 2013
- Please help: what are these lovely plants? May 16, 2013
- Yellow Poinsettia May 15, 2013
Follow @SPRIGBLOG on Twitter