Mr Kanjanga is a farmer from Ntcheu District in Phambala, Malawi. In 1975, having seen the deteriorating effect that the application of chemical fertilisers was having on his crops, he decided to return to the composting techniques he had seen used by his father in the 1930s. His crops started to improve so significantly that […]
Here in Durban we have a remarkably mild winter, which is in fact, the flowering season for a number of plants, in particular aloes and succulents. They are beautiful! Patrick (more…)
Does anyone know a natural caterpillar repellant? Small black caterpillars have been eating my succulents to bits and I don’t want to use chemicals. Any suggestions? Bridget McNulty Follow me on Twitter: @bridgetmcnulty
I’ve had this little plant for a few years but a change of container and location has it thriving. It has seriously been flowering for almost two months now and has grown substantially. Does anyone recognise it? I think it is from Madagascar. (more…)
Whilst picking the spinach for the spinach and ricotta pie today, (she boasts) I spied that the beets were sticking out above the ground, so I pulled some out – but they’re white inside! What? I vaguely remember that we had a packet of “Italian beetroot” seed. Unless of course that’s oversized radish boiling away […]
- zozo: Woodstock Drop Off facility takes houshold paint a...
- rosalind: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotiana_sylvestris...
- Helen: I have spekboom and live in Durban if you still ne...
- GISELA COETZEE: GREETINGS - I IF THIS PLANT FOUND IN CAPE TOWN RE...
- Emma: Thanks for the advice Dani! I have the same proble...
- Companion Planting Competition November 16, 2011
- How cool is spekboom? February 12, 2009
- Syringas March 11, 2009
- WIN: The Lazy Man’s Guide to Saving the World July 2, 2013
- Spring has Sprung Competition September 13, 2012
- WANTED: Spekboom cuttings – Durban/Cape Town November 7, 2014
- Everton Garden Tours October 30, 2014
- What is this weed? October 22, 2014
- SA tightens alien species regulation October 21, 2014
- Minister Launches Botanic Gardens in Eastern Cape October 20, 2014