BY Harumi Ozawa Agence France-Presse Nov 5, 2008 TOKYO — Tomohiro Kitazawa makes an unlikely farmer. He works neither under the sun nor in the fields, instead reporting for duty in the bustling heart of Tokyo. As Japan’s capital city struggles with problems from food safety to global warming to unemployment, a growing number of [...]
I spotted this awesome green wall outside the eThekwini Municipality’s City Architects office – I think they’ve done a good job.
Formerly a bowling green constructed in the 1950s and unused for decades, the site comprises part of the original farm, ‘Oranje Zigt’, established in 1709. OZCF seeks to re-connect the Oranjezicht neighbourhood and the rest of Cape Town to this neglected piece of heritage through design, education and vegetable gardening and to use it as [...]
All are welcome to our talk by Clive Greenstone on Living Green Roofs in South Africa, to be held at the Durban Botanic Gardens Visitors Centre on 27 May 2013 at 6 pm. Full details of the talk are available for download HERE. Many thanks, Kind regards Sandra Dell (secretary) Botanical Society of SA KZN [...]
Man Invents Machine To Convert Plastic Into Oil The machine, produced in various sizes, for both industrial and home uses, can easily transform a kilogram of plastic waste into a litre of oil, using about 1 kW·h of electricity but without emitting CO2 in the process. The machine uses a temperature controlling electric heater instead [...]
This is too cool! Picture a tiny drone that arises from your vegetable garden to shoo away hungry deer. Or maybe a houseplant that, when you’re away, meanders through your rooms like a cat following a sunbeam. Or one that posts a request for water on Twitter. The future is knocking at the door of home [...]
Can someone help me? My cacti and succulents get this weird fungal growth on them. It looks terrible and eventually they become quite unhappy. What is it and how do I go about curing it?
Help! My palm is covered in what looks like soot. A friend suggested it could be a fungus of some sort. Anyone recognise it and can recommend a cure?
Today is Earth Day! Over one billion people in 192 countries are participating from London to Sao Paolo, Seoul to Babylon City, New Delhi to New York, Rome to Cairo; people everywhere are taking action in their communities and helping depict The Face of Climate Change. How can you get involved? Attend an Earth Day [...]
The Department of Environmental Affairs has announced that South Africa, represented by Water and Environmental Affairs Minister, Edna Molewa, will sign the Benguela Current Convention, an environmental treaty with the governments of Angola and Namibia. “The is a formal agreement between the three governments and seeks to promote a coordinated regional approach to the long-term conservation, protection, rehabilitation, enhancement and [...]
Garden and Home Profile
- Niall: Andre, I would water it once a week or so. They ar...
- Andre Diederichs: Hi I have juts planted a spekboom in a pot. It is...
- Sanford W. Mann: You probably had the "nice" marigolds--deodorize...
- Samantha van riet: Great article-we should be planting vegetable in e...
- JuliannaGee: Kloof SPCA has a few of these growing on the large...
- Companion Planting Competition November 16, 2011
- How cool is spekboom? February 12, 2009
- Syringas March 11, 2009
- Spring has Sprung Competition September 13, 2012
- Mystery plant February 17, 2010
- Crops planted on rooftops, underground create new jobs, lower temperatures June 10, 2013
- OFFERED: Spekboom and campfire crassula June 5, 2013
- Awesome green wall June 4, 2013
- Hello again! June 4, 2013
- Seeds or seedlings? May 26, 2013
Follow @SPRIGBLOG on Twitter