Name that fruit…

Hi,

I am an ex Durbanite & I have been trying to find a particular fruit name. The fruit used to be called “Dutch Apple” – purple /sweet sour with a big hard woody seed. I was advised to try Crab Apple but it did not resemble a Crab Apple. Albert Park in Durban had many of these fruit trees.

I would be grateful if you could help with the name of this fruit

Thanx, Iris

9 Responses to Name that fruit…

1. Gardens on Wheels July 30, 2012 at 10:40 am #

An Otaheite Apple perhaps http://www.tntisland.com/images/otaheiteapple.jpg … or maybe a Star Apple http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/images/Plate58.jpg … or are those too exotic?

2. Kath August 24, 2013 at 2:58 pm #

HiIris, I found some of these in a road near Ridge Road in Durban, and went interetting. It’s correct name is Pleiogynium cerasiferum, and I think they are called burdekin plums, maybe from Australia. Anyway, I picked some that had dropped off the tree, and am trying to grow them now.

3. iris August 25, 2013 at 1:14 pm #

Thanx Kath…….it is the same fruit , wish you all the success in growing the tree
    It is native to Queensland Australia……I am in Perth…..will try to get one
    Thanx again
    Iris

4. Gregory Gilbert January 10, 2014 at 10:59 am #

Hi there, I used to live in KZN, SA … we used to eat a fruit called “Madonie” … do you perhaps know what the proper name for this fruit is? if you go onto http://www.flickr.com/photos/lkamala/952666810/? there is a picture of the purple fruit …
    you can email me on gregorygi@nedbank.co.za thanks a mil

5. iris January 28, 2014 at 3:51 am #

Hi Gregory,

I also remember this fruit from my ‘Durban’ days- mdoni is actually the African name

the botanical name is- Eugenia jambolana but commonly known as- java plum, black

plum, jambul & Indian blackberry

I hope this is helpful

Iris

6. Simone October 9, 2016 at 11:02 am #

Perhaps you are refering to a custard apple. Delicious!

7. Mark Rogers October 10, 2016 at 9:22 pm #

Do you have pictures of the custard apple tree and pictures of the ripe seed

8. Noushad January 15, 2017 at 3:29 am #

Does anyone know where we can get custard apple seedlings in South Africa

9. Cindy Ann Devonport January 16, 2017 at 10:03 pm #

try and buy a custrd apple from a supermarket and grow your own from seed – it works. I have also grown Jack fruit this way.