WANTED: Wisteria

Looking for Wisteria, preferably seedlings or more mature,or any cuttings. I’ve been looking at every nursery I come across and no one has it or can tell me what season to look out for them.

If anyone knows of any nurseries in between Ballito and Pietermaritzburg that stock them, or anyone who knows what the best season is to look out for them, please let me know.

Louise, Salt Rock, KZN.

11 Responses to WANTED: Wisteria

1. Niall June 26, 2012 at 5:29 pm #

We actually have a plant growing in our back garden – is it easy to propagate from cuttings?

2. Louise June 26, 2012 at 9:31 pm #

Hi Niall,

I’ve done some research and I found this helpful, it’s from a website http://www.gardeningknowhow.com.

“Rooting Wisteria Cuttings: Grow Wisteria From Cuttings
    By Heather Rhoades
    Are you wondering “how do you grow wisteria from a cutting?” Grow wisteria from cuttings is not difficult at all. In fact, it is the easiest way how to propagate wisteria. You can grow wisteria from cuttings leftover from pruning your wisteria and then have enough wisteria plants to share with everyone you know.
    How To Propagate Wisteria From Cuttings:
    Propagating wisteria from cuttings starts with getting the cuttings. As mentioned, a great source of cuttings can be from pruning wisteria , but you can take wisteria cuttings from the plant specifically for rooting wisteria.
    The wisteria cuttings need to be from the softwood. This is wood that is still green and has not developed woody bark. The wisteria cutting should be 3-6 inches long and have at least 2 sets of leaves on the cutting.
    Wisteria cuttings root best if taken in late spring or early summer.
    Preparing The Wisteria Cutting For Rooting:
    Once you have the wisteria cutting, remove the any sets of leaves on the lower half of the wisteria cutting. These will be the main points where new roots will develop. Trim the wisteria cutting so that the lowest node (where the leaves you just removed were) are 1/2 -1/4 inch from the bottom of the cutting. If there are any flower buds on the cutting, remove these from the wisteria cutting.
    Rooting Wisteria Cuttings
    Prepare a pot with well draining potting soil that has been wetted. Dip the rooting end of the wisteria cutting into rooting hormones. Using a finger or a stick, make a hole in the potting soil, then place the wisteria cutting in the hole and back fill the hole.
    Cover the pot in plastic, either by placing plastic wrap over the top of the pot or by placing the whole pot in a plastic bag. It is important that the plastic does not touch the cuttings, so you may want to prop the plastic away from the cuttings with sticks. The plastic helps to hold in humidity, which increases the success rate of propagating wisteria from cuttings.
    Place the pot with the wisteria cuttings in a place where they will get bright, indirect light. Check the soil frequently and water when dry to the touch. The wisteria cuttings should be rooted in 4-6 weeks.”

With all the cuttings I’ve done, including Hibiscus and roses, I’ve found using river sand (the kind used in building) best for propagating cuttings. With wisteria I’d probably use Dynaroot 2 or 3 rooting hormone depending on whether I’d managed to get a softwood cutting or had to try with a slightly woodier cutting.

An alternative option to the plastic bag (depending on the size of your cutting) is using an old 2L plastic bottle. You cut the bottle to the length you need, toward the opening end. Then rinse the bottom half and invert it into the pot over your cutting. Any clear plastic bottle will do. Oros ones also work.

Hope that helps, do you have any suggestions as to where I might find any in my area?

Regards, Louise

3. Sprig June 27, 2012 at 9:08 am #

Hi Louise

We have a plant and are in Westville. Let me know if you’d like to come and take cuttings …

4. Louise June 27, 2012 at 6:07 pm #

I’d very much appreciate that, thank you!

I’m driving through to Pietermaritzburg on Saturday, should be passing through Westville round 2-2:30pm, would that be convenient for you? I’m coming back late Sunday afternoon\early evening if that suits better, otherwise let me know when is a good time for you.

I have just potted some Hibiscus cuttings, they should be rooted in about a month, I can offer you three if you are interested. The flowers are a lovely peach colour with a red throat, I can send a picture of the parent plant if you’d like to see the flowers and decide if you’d like them.

Thanks again!
    Regards, Louise.

5. Helen McNulty June 28, 2012 at 10:00 am #

Hi Louise,

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but we have had enthusiastic garden workers here and it appears the wisteria has been brutally pruned. In fact yesterday when I checked on it I couldn’t identify it.

As soon as it comes back to life I will contact you.

So sorry, Helen

6. Sprig June 28, 2012 at 11:35 am #

Oh no … Sorry Louise, I should’ve checked before I offered …

🙁

7. Louise June 28, 2012 at 1:30 pm #

Ahhhh. Oh well, my gardener ripped out all my primulas and my violas last year just as I’d got them going properly, thought they were weeds, so I know how it feels. But apparently wisteria will come back better than ever, so that is something to look forward to. Thanks so much anyway, will you keep in touch and let me know when it looks like it can take having cuttings taken? I know it will probably only be in Spring.

Regards, Louise.

8. Louise July 12, 2012 at 11:50 am #

Hi, I just wanted to let you all know I found a fantastic nursery called Midlands Garden Centre in Rosetta up in the Midlands near Nottingham Road. They have white, light purple and the traditional blue Wisteria, as well as tons of other brilliant plants. They also have a loyalty card which, when you’ve filled it up, gives you an average amount value for a free purchase. Also very helpful and knowledgeable staff, excellent all round really. Contact number is 033 2675025 for anyone who wants to get hold of them.

9. fameeda November 6, 2012 at 12:57 pm #

Hi
    i am located in the Durban area and would like to know if there are any nurserys near me that i could get the wisteria plant at.

Perhaps there is somewhere i could purchase the seeds to grow them?

i love gardening and even though i live in a flat i still have a garden.
    so excited that i finally found the plant that i was used at the wedding scene in the movie twilight.

please if anyone can assist me i would really appreciate it.

10. Max September 8, 2014 at 8:50 am #

I am sitting in the same chair, alos looking for Wisteria. Is there some help possible? I am living in Capetown but we are travelling quiet often to the Knysna area.
    Regards
    max

11. Taryn September 28, 2014 at 10:22 am #

Thanks Louise. I will definitely make a tour out to Midlands as also been looking for years for a wisteria tree. Just hope Mt Edgecombe is going to be col enough for it to bloom nicely!