Offer: Mushrooms

These beautiful mushrooms are growing wild in our back garden.

My husband wants to know if they are edible and if so would anyone out there like them.

We live in Durban.

— Helen McNulty

7 Responses to Offer: Mushrooms

1. Alexander Dowding March 25, 2012 at 8:35 pm #

Those look a lot like a mushroom I used to see and eat in the UK called the Parasol mushroom (Macrolepiota procera). I wouldn’t risk eating them until you can be sure, but if you get confirmation they are very nice mushrooms to eat indeed. 🙂 I’m also confident that there would be a market for them if you could culture/collect sufficient quantities of them.

2. Helen April 2, 2012 at 9:53 am #

Thank you Alexander. They grow wild in our garden and I am a bit cautious about eating them. Mushrooms are known to be a bit dodgy!

3. Sprig April 2, 2012 at 2:28 pm #

what is the best way to confirm the identity of mushrooms? get a book? take them to a mushroom expert?

4. Alexander Dowding April 10, 2012 at 11:13 pm #

A mycologist would be your best bet I suppose, but there are a couple of very good South African mushroom field guides on the market. Have a squiz at your local Exclusive Books store, if you find one but can’t afford the book or don’t want to purchase it just flip through like I do hahaha. I can waste hours in book shops without buying anything!

5. Catherine & Dominic April 25, 2012 at 11:09 pm #

Hi Helen!

Dom and I were wondering why Ray is asking you if he can eat those mushrooms?!

6. Helen McNulty May 8, 2012 at 7:56 pm #

Hi Catherine and Dom,

Only saw your comment now. When I asked Ray he said, ” I was hungry at the time” !

7. Robert May 14, 2012 at 10:43 am #

Parasols, have a loose skirt, so look on the stem and see if the skirt is loose and can move up and down the stem, also take spore print to be perfectly sure.

Best is to take one to a mushroom expert to confirm.