ARE YOU WILLING TO ACCEPT A NUCLEAR FUTURE FOR THE WESTERN CAPE?
Join us for this important talk!
The South African government plans to spend an estimated R1 trillion on six nuclear reactors on our coast. Two of these are planned for Bantamsklip, 42km from Hermanus. Tenders are to be finalised this year and the bidding process is due to start in early 2012.
There has been strong opposition at Thyspunt close to Jeffreys Bay, so it is very likely that Bantamsklip near Pearly Beach will be the next ‘preferred site’.
- What will the cost to South Africa be?
- What else might we achieve with R1 trillion?
- Could a disaster like Fukushima happen here?
- Was the environmental impact properly assessed?
- Is there a viable alternative? Can renewable options be used to supply our electricity needs?
- Do we have a say?
- What can we do?