Turmeric

A friend has just given me a turmeric plant, which she tells me grows very well in Durban. You eat the root, just like ginger, which it also looks quite similar too.  Now I wonder what recipe calls for fresh turmeric?

34 Responses to Turmeric

1. mol-d February 24, 2011 at 4:05 pm #

interesting looking plant…

take your pic on the recipes:

2. Helen February 24, 2011 at 6:31 pm #

I’d like a piece please.

3. Niall February 25, 2011 at 6:50 am #

sure thing Helen!

4. mol-d February 25, 2011 at 9:47 am #

curry is always a good option…

5. Chips February 25, 2011 at 11:22 am #

I’m quite excited to cook something with this. I wonder how the taste compares to dried? More punchy and spicey, I would imagine…

6. khalid February 28, 2011 at 10:18 am #

its used fresh in south east asia…so i guess malay or thai cooking.
    they claim it is sweeter than the dry pulverised variety.the dry stuff being bitter,is used in
    moderation.it is not a substitute for saffron in mogul cuisine.
    turmeric great at preventing stomach cancer or similar.
    but Chips beware…..your fingers will be Yellow!

7. Patrick April 13, 2011 at 1:36 pm #

Turmeric is used extensively in curries and Asian dishes. It has FABULOUS health qualities. Google it, you’ll be amazed.

P

8. Mike Rogers June 4, 2011 at 9:47 am #

We are looking for a tumeric plant to propagate. Is there anywhere near Durban where tumeric plants can be purchased???

9. khalid June 5, 2011 at 8:04 pm #

i kinda bought the root at sunrise fruit and veg on brickfield road overport.
    plants tend to dry up as it cools down and rains less.
    if you fail i could give you a piece of mine.
    nice purple tinged white flowers circa february
    khalid

10. Nan April 14, 2012 at 11:00 pm #

I am meaning to find out if anyone can sell me a little piece of it. I have suffered from acne all my life, I hear I need to drink its juice everyday. Please help!

11. Sprig April 15, 2012 at 8:07 pm #

Nan – where do you live?

12. Desiree Gray March 6, 2013 at 10:35 am #

I have been looking for a turmeric plant forever, have had no joy. Do you know of anywhere I can obtain one?

13. Niall March 7, 2013 at 11:07 am #

Hi Desiree

My plant has actually died 🙁 but couldn’t you grow it from a tumeric root obtained from the grocery store?

14. Elise March 7, 2013 at 7:29 pm #

I’ve also been looking for a plant for ages. I’ve only ever seen it fresh in a shop once, and would love to know of any shops that stock it regularly. I live in Joburg. It was delicious – not much like the dried powder, which I find a bit tasteless. I used it in curries. But be warned – chopping board, grater, fingers…. bright yellow for days.

15. Reine February 15, 2014 at 5:26 am #

Hi

I live in Cape Town. I would love to grow turmeric. All I need, I understand, is a piece of root with shooting capability. I have grown ginger before, and from what I have read, it behaves similarly. Can anyone help?

16. Sprig February 17, 2014 at 5:44 pm #

hi Reine

They sell organic turmeric roots at the Oranezicht market on Saturdays.

17. Suzanne February 21, 2014 at 8:23 pm #

Pls could someone give me the contact details of the person who sells organic turmeric roots. I’m hoping that I can purchase some & that they can be posted to me.

18. Sprig February 23, 2014 at 8:32 am #

Hi Suzanne

They sell it here http://www.ozcf.co.za/organic-market/

19. Suzanne February 24, 2014 at 7:19 pm #

Thank you so much!! We’ve been advised to use it for our dog who has dreadfully itchy skin. But has to be fresh, not the irradiated dried supermarket variety. Will let you know if it works.

20. Adam March 11, 2014 at 10:08 am #

You could try the Old Biscuit Mill in Woodstock on Saturdays.

21. Dizastre May 6, 2014 at 1:07 pm #

Hey
    I need to get some fresh Turmeric….any idea where to find it near Durban or Pietermaritzburg KZN?
    THanks

22. Bev May 29, 2014 at 10:55 am #

Hi I live in Durban and would love to buy both turmeric roots and the plant. Could anyone advise where available?
    Thnks

23. Trang July 14, 2014 at 3:29 pm #

Fesh turmeric is very good for scars and skin.Crushed fresh turmeric with few drops water then put in the brown spots .
    Also very goods for pregnant women.

24. Trang July 14, 2014 at 3:32 pm #

Its also very good for who got problem with stomach.

25. CazandCo December 3, 2014 at 10:53 am #

I am in Durban North – any local growers where I could a piece from to grow? Love making a tea out of a piece of turmeric root, ginger root and cinnamon. Very refreshing drink.

26. rosalind December 15, 2014 at 12:45 pm #

Tanglewood Nursery, Hilton, PMB carries turmeric plants. https://www.facebook.com/tanglewoodnursery?fref=ts

27. Cha January 6, 2016 at 1:15 pm #

I am looking for a plant can anyone advise my husband is travelling to PMB and Durban this weekend. Contact me 0742494835 thanks

28. Sonja March 12, 2016 at 8:41 am #

Golden milk a must! Made with fresh turmeric.

29. Lorraine April 13, 2016 at 11:59 am #

Can anyone please help looking for turmic root i am living on the easr rand gauteng jhb
    082 4916388

30. Audrey franken July 11, 2016 at 5:21 pm #

Does anyone in Jhb sell turneric roots/plants?

31. Gusi September 7, 2016 at 11:54 am #

I had an Uncle who passed away this year at the age of 90. At the age of 79 he became incredibly ill and was hospitalized at Groote Schuur Hospital. There the Doctors and medical team after numerous tests could not establish the cause of his condition and neither could they make an accurate diagnosis. They however established that his illness was so bad, that he had regressed so much, that the only option was for him to go home and die at home. There was nothing they could do for him. He left did some research on turmeric root and made himself a tea which he drank a few times per day. He healed miraculously and lived another ten years eventually dying of old age and peacefully.
    I have been able to find Turmeric here in Cape Town at the Sea Point branch of Checkers and my research has revealed that Gardens Pick and Pay and also Atlas Spices in Bokaap stocks the root. However I have also established that there is water shortages in Kwa Zulu Natal and that the supply has been short for the passed 3 months. I have come up with a health drink which uses numerous local and indigenous root, plant and fruit but cannot find a regular supply of Turmeric. It would be incredibly helpful for me to get my own seed or plant to start a turmeric garden. Any HELP?

32. Rowan December 6, 2016 at 9:52 am #

I have a plant growing in an ice-cream tub. I live in Butterworth in Transkei and i do not have any problem with it

33. Greg Pettit March 19, 2017 at 9:08 pm #

I have 640 Turmeric plants in bags, sorry but I am not selling large quantities as yet. I sell an average of 2-4 kilograms per Saturday at the Shongweni Farmer’s Market. (The African Garden)

34. LeeAnn May 22, 2017 at 8:45 am #

Hi
    I have the beautifully flowered plant.
    I got mine at builders whse in durban, and checkers hyper shops has,them too R140