Suburban Wildlife in KZN

suburban wildlife in kzn

suburban wildlife in kzn

I recently picked up an excellent book from my local nursery.  Suburban Wildlife in KZN, a WESSA publication, looks at the fauna that you share your garden with.   Sections focus in on spiders, insects, frogs and birds, highlighting the importance of each to the ecosystem of the suburbs.

With full-colour photographs and descriptions of each animal and how they fit into the food chain, this book makes you look at bugs, frogs and monkeys in a new light.

The author of the book is well known entomologist Dr Jason Londt, who writes:

“There is no doubt that our precious biodiversity is under great threat and that only one thing can save it – a proper appreciation of its true value. My hope is that people’s natural curiosity about animals that live in and around their homes will lead them to much greater appreciation of the incredible natural heritage that we as South Africans possess, as well as a willingness to stand up  for its proper protection and management.”

7 Responses to Suburban Wildlife in KZN

1. mol-d February 20, 2011 at 11:06 am #

yeah, this looks cool B-)

2. Helen February 20, 2011 at 12:49 pm #

it looks great, what we all need to know.

3. Julia February 23, 2011 at 7:32 am #

Wouldnt this make a great birthday or Christmas present? Much better than some presents I’ve had!

4. Niall February 23, 2011 at 7:53 am #

yip, it certainly would Julia. a gift that keeps on giving …

🙂

5. Pi February 26, 2011 at 3:42 pm #

Thanks for reminding me, I forgot I had this little gem. There’s an entry on paper wasps, who have been harmless neighbours for several years, hovering for a few seconds when in one’s path, then sweetly giving way. Poor wasps they do get a bad rap.

6. khalid February 28, 2011 at 10:27 am #

hey Pi

wasps are pretty okay…except if you have been stung by them like ten times in the last 2 years.
    seems to be a population explosion….some predator is missing.
    my neighbour and their dog also attacked .great many nests about.

7. Julia February 28, 2011 at 2:37 pm #

Hi Khalid
    We’ve also been invaded in our house and garden. I dont know my wasps but ours are also the stinging ones! Anyone know why there are so many about and is there a nice way of getting rid of them or keeping them from nesting on my verandah?
    Julia