Flowering Succulent

Over the recent holidays in St Helena Bay, Western Cape Coast, I came across this flowering succulent, huernia acacia.

I was told it is indigenous to the area but tracked down and bought one anyway. I brought a piece home and am hoping my son, with his green thumb can get it growing in Durban.

— Helen McNulty

African Cotton

10 Responses to Flowering Succulent

1. Niall January 27, 2011 at 1:48 pm #

oh wow! this is beautiful …

2. mol-d January 27, 2011 at 2:23 pm #

it really is! amazing flower… cool! get in there green-thumbed son 🙂

3. Betsie January 27, 2011 at 9:22 pm #

Niall,do you know the species name of this Stapeliad? They areexquisite when in bloom, lovely specimen, this.

4. Niall January 28, 2011 at 9:14 am #

Hi Betsie

No, unfortunately not but I am growing cuttings if you would like one.

5. emme January 28, 2011 at 10:09 am #

the patterns on the flower looks like an orchid.

6. Betsie January 30, 2011 at 4:00 pm #

I would love one!!

7. Calvin March 10, 2011 at 8:00 pm #

Hi! I have a cutting, now well established in a pot, of a plant that looks almost identical to this. The only difference is that the bloom is a yellow/cream colour (more yellow than cream), with fine reddish-purple veins on the inside of the flower and it is covered in fine purple hairs. The bloom also releases a pungent aroma when fully open and only lasts about two days. Do you know of a website where I can post an image of it in order to have someone identify it for me? I would really appreciate any help you can give! I love my potted garden, but love it even more when I actually know what I am growing.

8. mol-d March 10, 2011 at 11:30 pm #

Hi Calvin,

Post it into Sprig and someone should be able to help out:

9. Betsie March 12, 2011 at 4:08 pm #

This must be another species of the stapelia family. The older Afrikaans people call the flowers stinkblomme or aasblomme (carion flowers), because of the smell which reminds one of rotten meat.

10. Calvin March 13, 2011 at 7:33 am #

Many BIG thank-yous to Mol D and Betsie!! Having the name Stapelia as a starting point really helped! Google searching with a discription of the plant wasn’t getting me very far! It turns out I have (what I assume, after much searching and perusing of google images)is a Stapelia Gigantea – Carrion Flower
    Asclepiadaceae.