Are pink mealies for real?

This morning on a walking tour of Victoria St and the early morning market, I came upon these pink mealies.  They were being packed into smaller bags for sale and I was assured they were genuine and had no coloring.

Hmmm, I wonder. Does anyone else know?

— Helen McNulty

www.africancotton.co.za

8 Responses to Are pink mealies for real?

1. Dani November 19, 2010 at 4:03 pm #

Looks like there a fair bit of “dye” on the fabric under them LOL Perhaps a growth hormone?

2. Greg November 20, 2010 at 10:11 am #

Looks a bit suspicious with all the pink residue on the bag and the pink is really unnatural for a mealie. So far I have only seen that kind of pink in nature on flowers.

3. Niall November 20, 2010 at 11:10 am #

I wouldn’t eat them …

4. Rob Symons November 21, 2010 at 2:29 pm #

It could be a fungicidal seed treatment. You might find that these are seed mielies being sold as food. Seed treatments are normally pink, blue or green in colour and are intended to prevent fungal infestation of stored grain.
    As an aside one treated seed can sterilize one cubic foot of soil of all beneficial fungi. I sure eating it is not going to have happy consequences.

5. Ziggy November 26, 2010 at 11:14 am #

dont eat them! I have seen mielie seeds being sold that are pink – in large 50kg bags at a farmers supply depot. I am sure that it is a protective pesticide – and the pink is to warn people that they are not for eating!

6. Ziggy November 27, 2010 at 10:57 am #

In fact – this morning I planted mielies – (Kirchoffs seeds) and they were the same pink – so it must be some kind of pesticide for seeds that makes them pink

7. Travis October 13, 2011 at 10:58 am #

It is indeed pesticide, and deadly at that. You get all colours of maize/mielie/corn (including black, purple, red, orange, yellow and white), but disco pink? Hayibo.

8. Louise October 17, 2013 at 8:22 pm #

My Gran used to plant mielies to subsidise her income. It’s to help the mielies that’s planted grow better. It’s not for human consumption. As Rob mentioned, it’s also likely to keep it protected from bugs.