moles

Does anyone have a good idea for dealing with moles that dig up the entire garden: lawn, veggie patch and all!  I’ve tried opening the hole and dropping some crushed garlic down but I’m not sure this will really work unless one gets the real access.

Ideas? Please! astrid

7 Responses to moles

1. shaggy September 27, 2010 at 2:19 pm #

Take a plastic bottle (coke bottle for example) cut two or three “doors” in it on opposite sides of the bottle. By that I mean, so that you have flaps that bend open to catch wind. Put a metal stake in the ground and put the upturned bottle onto it. When the wind blows, it should spin the bottle, rattling it against the stake, the noise irritates the moles and they will leave. I think it works, and is cheap and easy to try. Perhaps try to make a few of these ‘windmills’ for more effect.
    Good Luck!

2. Louise September 27, 2010 at 2:34 pm #

I have one times expert hunter of moles (Frank the cat) who regularly deposits such treasures in my bathroom. You can borrow?

3. Ziggy September 28, 2010 at 9:32 am #

Over the years I have managed to keep moles away from some spots in the garden – I don’t think possible to get rid of them completely!

I have used two methods:
    1. I bought one of those electronic mole chasers. You spike it into the ground and it sends out an electronic sound that keeps moles away from a fairly large area. It broke a couple of years ago, and have not yet found a replacement
    2. Now, don’t laugh! When I am in the garden – and also when I take the dogs out at night to do their business – I pee in the centre of the mole hills. This seems to chase them to other areas where I don’t mind them living

My biggest problem with the moles is that the dogs want to dig them up – this causes more damage than the moles themselves.

Funny, although I don’t want moles in my garden, I still gently rescue the ones that fall into my pool!

4. Joe Mac October 3, 2010 at 6:06 pm #

As for moles and old friend advised me to save my hair when it was cut and stick a bunch down the holes. Dosn’t hurt them but they really don’t seem to like it and move to other areas of the garden. Cheap too!

5. Astrid October 14, 2010 at 8:28 am #

Thank you for all your suggestions re: moles! Tried the windmill one but my young dog thought it was a great toy to dismantle and chew…and yes, both dogs dig the molehills and that IS the big damage! Maybe the pee and hair can work, alongside the crushed garlic… thank you!
    astrid

6. mol-d October 14, 2010 at 8:36 am #

pee, hair and crushed garlic.. sounds like a vicious combination! 🙂

7. rike October 17, 2010 at 1:29 pm #

Pee, hair, crushed garlic and some leaves – like soup / magic garden broths kids make.