Who said veggies are green?

First off, apologies for this comes off looking like an amateur mess.I am a rank amateur.   Came across a Saffer company , www.soughtafterseedlings.co.za, marketing some unique looking veggies.I mean purple cauliflower-weird, round carrots and my favourite lollipop-like white and red beetroots!(The rag name is Simply Green, May June 2010 ed p48)   The veggies are not genetically modified, I repeat Monsanto herbicides will kill them.The seeds are produced by Franchi Sementi Seeds(see attachment , hopefully) in Italy.

I reckon that Messrs Ferrari and Bugatti and their friends at Lamborghini and Alfa must have found inspiration in the the technicolour fields in uberstylish Tuscany.   So….since I do not like tomaytoes,here’s hinting (not so subtly one might add )that more folk might be inspired to grow sweeter( and Heaps More Colourful) veggies.

Khalid

8 Responses to Who said veggies are green?

1. Sprig August 11, 2010 at 11:15 am #

hey Khalid. I think people are used to eating the same things all the time.

see this post where the author states its actually good for the environment to be experimental in your eating habits:

2. khalid August 11, 2010 at 12:11 pm #

loved that piece.

i have tried spicing my eggs with an aloe cooperi flower .not bad.guess its great for micronutients.

just feel if the folk in hawaii and austrlia can grow silver trees and proteas commercially while most of our horticuluralists still think they can only be raised in the shadow of table mountain,we fighting a lost battle.

would love to see a cross bred or selective bred amantungula fruit that is twice its wild size at pick and pay someday soon.and morogo and arum leaves alongside spinach and water cress.guess the old indian market and merebank stock them herbs but its not commonplace.

thinking out loud.

khalid/sunshine

3. Elsa August 11, 2010 at 4:23 pm #

hey khalid the world needs more people like you! i ‘accidentally’ planted those beets and when we first harvested them they looked like giant radishes. http://www.sprig.co.za/2010/06/our-first-beet-crop-or-not-2/
    they are delicious roasted (i lightly parboil them first) not least because they are much sweeter than the normal beets.

4. shaggy August 13, 2010 at 5:24 pm #

Hi Khalid

Check out this post from back in April this year for more info from Sought After Seedlings

5. Pi August 13, 2010 at 6:17 pm #

Hey Khalid, the local Checkers had a rare punnet of waterblommetjies last night, and the weigh it attendant said a small consignment had only come in that afternoon, so here I am when I was looking for a good recipe

6. khalid August 14, 2010 at 4:34 pm #

@Elsa…you’re an inspiration!
    @ Pi ..how did those waterblommetjies turn out? and thanks for buying them…

7. Sprig August 15, 2010 at 2:25 pm #

Hi Pi. A friend who runs a cooking blog suggested making a waterblommetjie bredie … recipe at http://www.food24.com/Recipes/Waterblommetjie-bredie-20091103-5

8. Pi August 16, 2010 at 8:10 pm #

Thank you all, and I will add the recipe to my little collection from an online adaptation from Ina Paarman, as well as recipes from books by Sonja Garber, and Margaret Roberts (there are a couple of stew and bredie recipes in her Indigenous Healing Plants that I gave my brother ages ago, and which he’s let me borrow permanently – there’s a moral in that story, somewhere).

But I digress from the Cape pondweed (waterblommetjie, said in a bree Kaapse accent, sounds so much better) which soaked as directed while I put in some seedlings and picked up some clover and flat leaved parsley and marjoram (the Ina/Margaret recipes refer to surings/sorrel) which went in at the end with a bit of lemon.

Fortunately there were some baby potatoes so the dish began as a stew – although by the time the onion was braising the garlic followed and then I was adding masala (from the Ina recipe), preceded by some borrie (haldi/paspu/manja/turmeric) which I remembered from Cass Abrahams (whom I used to read in South ages ago) – although she would find it hard to recognise it as a bredie. Some powdered veg stock went in (skande) followed by some wholegrain oats (Woolies still keeps some) that countered the textures of the waterblommetjies and the (melting) jacketed potatoes that followed. I let it all braise for a bit then added boiling water and it let it stew gently for half an hour with a couple of diced tomatoes towards the end, followed by salt and pepper, and some dhania/jeera (coriander/cumin) for good measure. How could anyone go wrong with such a lovely plant, and some served for lunch today along with some for my Mum (she approved of it in tones of surprise for she does not play with her food – probably comes from growing up during the post-war depression).
    Ben-Erik van Wyk and Nigel Gericke’s book People’s Plants has some lovely pics and says that waterblommetijies would have been used by the Khoi and even the San before them. They also say it can be used as a salad, soup or pickle…