Protea?

I am getting used to the Cape vegetation and the abundance of Protea plants here. The variety is amazing! Here is a pic I snapped last year in the Easter Cape, near KwaZulu-Natal. I gather this is a type of Protea or am I mistaken? The colour of the flowers is so vibrant and there are hairy pods on the stem. Who knows what it is?

9 Responses to Protea?

1. Sprig July 27, 2010 at 9:43 am #

wow! these are beautiful – I am a huge fan of fynbos.

2. Helen July 27, 2010 at 3:59 pm #

me too, these are really stunning.

3. Elephant's Eye July 27, 2010 at 8:01 pm #

Not so sure, they look more like an Australian Grevillea. Yup, looks like the picture in my book. Yes it is a protea, but an Australian not a South African. Where were you? Was that growing wild?

4. khalid July 27, 2010 at 9:04 pm #

the flowers do look very similar to pincushions.but the seed pods do not look familiar…had a few pincushions in durbs but ants are vile and vicious creatures.lol…they killed the best ones.
    king proteas and the hybrid pink ice do brilliantly in durbs…got a few.no fungal issues with them.
    theres a guy in greytown …raises them commercially..what a helpful dude.if u keen..

5. mol-d July 28, 2010 at 11:06 am #

it’s a shame that this is an australian version as it was growing wild in a nature reserve at mkhambathi in the eastern cape.

6. Smile July 28, 2010 at 4:20 pm #

so its an invader? weird as it looks totally south african …

7. khalid July 28, 2010 at 9:37 pm #

shame.plants do suffer heaps of immigration problems.

8. Smile July 29, 2010 at 8:50 am #

yip, no body wants theme when they sprout up in the wrong place 🙂

9. Protea_Admirer December 6, 2011 at 11:38 pm #

That looks more like a grevillia than a protea (they are related though). Hang on while I check Wikipedia …

Yep, that’s Grevillia banksii, native to Queensland in Australia.