SA plants I loved this time

The nicest thing about a trip to SA (in Mar/April this year to KZN and Mpumalanga) is being newly enchanted by plants that I previously took for granted. Here’s a selection of recent favourites: palm seeds, more palm seeds, and a wonderful elephant tusk plant in the shadow of night, a succulent that offers its new plants on the tip of the leaf like a butterfly alighting; the stunning chevron of a traveller’s palm. Finally, by way of contrast, the untidy nest of the communication spider on a bush walk.

Elsa.

13 Responses to SA plants I loved this time

1. Sprig June 29, 2010 at 9:06 am #

Hey Elsa

I found a specimen of the succulent while working in Inanda. It is amazing how the baby plants grow on the edge of the leaves.

Needless to say, I took one have and it is now happily living in a pot.

2. Elsa June 29, 2010 at 9:23 am #

Needless to say indeed. I was so tempted. I saw the spider nest whilst on a bush walk (that is, the spider hadn’t gone for a walk!)

3. Patrick June 29, 2010 at 1:48 pm #

that spider’s nest looks big enough to trap a bird!

4. Elephant's Eye June 29, 2010 at 3:33 pm #

(palm seeds? Strelitzia) When I first saw these lying on the patio, I thought that neon orange fluff was plastic, garbage.

5. Yuli March 7, 2011 at 5:46 pm #

I’ve just recently planted this elephant-tusk-plant (third image), I like it.. Please info, what are the cultivation and uses of this plant?

Rgds,
    Yuli

6. shaggy March 7, 2011 at 5:47 pm #

I think if you smash the leaves between 2 rocks, you can use the fibres that are in them to wind into a rope…

7. Yuli March 7, 2011 at 5:47 pm #

How about for environment, like purifiying poluted air or toxic, does this elephant-tusk-plant do that? Or may be somethingelse?

Rgds,
    Yuli

8. Elsa March 7, 2011 at 6:08 pm #

Gosh Yuli, I really don’t know the answer to that, perhaps one of the more academic readers of this blog can answer you. I have no idea! It’s a bit like my friend says about great works of art, “I don’t know why I like them, but they make me feel good”. That’s what the elephant tusk plant does for me.

9. Yuli March 8, 2011 at 4:18 pm #

10. Niall March 8, 2011 at 4:42 pm #

Hi Yuli

Have a look at thie TED talk where Kamal explains how to ‘grow’ clean air:

11. Amigo October 21, 2011 at 11:08 am #

WHAT IS THE NAME OF THIRD PLANT AND FOR WHAT PURPOSE TQ

12. mol-d October 21, 2011 at 11:11 am #

hi amigo, see details above.. make a rope?

13. jennyE October 24, 2011 at 5:56 am #

The Elephant tusk looks like Strelitzia Juncea which grows in the Uitenhage area.The seeds are Strelitzia seeds and the palm looks like Strelitzia nicolai Natal wild banana. Easy to grow from seed,just be patient