2 pictures from Zelda Wahl

Hi Everyone Hope this will be appropriate! As chairlady to the Durbanville Garden club, it’s my duty to come up with speakers and new subjects to talk about at the monthly meetings. So I have chosen the theme ‘Creative ways with Junk’ for our next meeting on Mar 10th. Now this is where all you creative folks come in. I’m looking for ideas of containers that you may have found in the garage that can be re-cycled into a plant container imaginatively. I have shown two samples: The green basket is a peg basket that holds a Chrysanthemum in a pot and the other is in an enamel mug. I need ideas before next week Tues, so get those creative juices going and think out of the box.(Better still, throw the box away!) NB Please don’t send ideas to plant in a toilet or old boots!

7 Responses to 2 pictures from Zelda Wahl

1. Sprig March 4, 2010 at 10:48 am #

Hi Zelda.
    Cool theme and eco-friendly!
    There are some interesting examples of old two litre Coke bottles that have been adapted into planters on an earlier post on spekboom. See it here http://www.sprig.co.za/2009/07/spekboom-update/. Also, see Kirsty’s clivia planted in a glass vase http://www.sprig.co.za/2009/08/will-my-clivia-survive-inside/.

2. zelda Wahl March 4, 2010 at 12:44 pm #

Thanks a span! I love the coke bottle idea and will shortly be making a trip to the supermarket to get my sample. I think the garden club members will love it. It’s also a way to get children interested in gardening by making the container. I will keep you all posted on the results.

3. emme March 4, 2010 at 3:25 pm #

i’ve often seen old car tyres used as big planters. very effective if you’re going for the ‘scrapyard chic’ look 😉

4. Kirsty March 7, 2010 at 5:38 pm #

Using old trophies as pot plants has become very popular, and can look quite beautiful. I’m sure some of your members will have old sport trophies that they’re no longer that attached to!

5. Zelda March 7, 2010 at 8:00 pm #

Trophies is a good idea. Thank you.The craft lady and I have spent the weekend painting and planting in preparation. I seem to have made most use of Echeveria plants. I think we should have a competition at the garden club! Will keep you all posted. We’re going into our third week of temperatures in the 40’s (near Paarl) with not an inkling of rain and all beginning to wilt.

6. shaggy March 7, 2010 at 9:30 pm #

Hi
    Although a little more cumbersome than the examples already posted here, this still fits in with the theme “creative ways with junk”.

I recycled old wooden pallets. I turned them upside down, lined them with old shadecloth and filled them with potting soil. It makes a moveable veggie garden, useful for growing shallow rooted leafy veggies like lettuce and spinach. If you have to move home but still want to keep your veggie garden (or have a balcony) then this works very well. Raising the pallet on 4 bricks allows good drainage and will prevent the roots growing into the ground (and slows down the wood rotting).

7. zelda Wahl March 8, 2010 at 8:12 am #

Hi Shaggy, you’re right on the ball. I belong to Rotary and we have been approached by a Quadriplegic Home for assistance to help them establish their own veggie garden. The crate idea is a good as they can get to the veggies with a wheelchair around the crate/planting box. Height seems right too. I said I would inquire who does boxes. A fellow Rotarian is going to have a look at pallets in his factory. Someone did suggest the boxes for the creative containers but I didn’t know of anyone with boxes who could transport a sample to the meeting! Thanks for the input.