ID on unknown plant please

This plant came up in a friend’s garden. Could someone please identify for me. I think it is exotic so it doesn’t matter where it came up but for interest’s sake I live in Durbanville , Cape Town.  Hot dry summers, wet winters. This photo was taken late August, which is still very cold and rainy in our area.

Unknown Plant

Unknown Plant

7 Responses to ID on unknown plant please

1. Janie December 3, 2009 at 12:01 am #

Probably showing my ignorance here. I think it is an arum. I cannot imagine cold and rainy in August! We are backwards.

2. Nell Jean December 3, 2009 at 12:21 am #

Your weed might be my desirable plant. The leaves resemble Zantedeschia, of the arum family, so does the spathe.

Cold and rainy is also subjective. Calla lilies go dormant in our hottest weather and are leafed out now but I doubt to see blooms before the first freeze which could be any time.

I’m fascinated by all the South African plants we’re able to grow here. Gerbera daisies are blooming now.

3. mol-d December 3, 2009 at 12:35 am #

I think you may be right, Nell Jean. The plant could be a ‘Black Pearl’ (Zantedeschia aethiopica):

4. Elephant's Eye December 3, 2009 at 11:19 am #

One of the ‘exotic’ modern hybrids of the summer rainfall arums. Wild arums in the Western Cape are white, but up north (in South Africa) there are wild yellow (floral emblem of the old Transvaal) and pink arums. From which these hybrids come …

5. BONNIE December 4, 2009 at 9:29 pm #

Hello I might be wrong but it looks like a Dracuncula Vulgaris- voodoo lily, or dragon arum.

6. Netflorist March 23, 2010 at 12:04 pm #

Darn that is beautiful!!! When you know what it is please do post this.

7. zelda Wahl March 24, 2010 at 2:07 pm #

I did eventually get ID and posted it but here it is again: The plant’s name is Arum palaestinum. Black calla, Solomon’s lily or Jerusalem lily. Indigenous to Europe & Asia. It does not include the plant commonly referred to in SA as the arum lily, which belongs to the genus Zantedeschia.Grow in rich, moist soil in shade. Reference: ‘What flower is That?’ by Christo Pienaar.