Giant shrooms…

These giant mushrooms are the result of all the rain we have had in Durban throughout October. Take your pick for measuring them; a hand, a size 6 shoe or a Dachshund… These shrooms would make a mean omelette or risotto… Does anyone know if they are edible? What are the tell-tale signs for mushrooms you can eat? Will these kill me? 🙂

A Hand?

A Hand?

A Foot?

A Foot?

A Sausage Dog?

A Sausage Dog?

Underside - will these kill me?

Underside - will these kill me?

19 Responses to Giant shrooms…

1. Bridget McNulty November 17, 2009 at 1:45 pm #

I’m not sure, but I’d love to know… Are you willing to sacrifice your health for the sake of science, mol-d? Just kidding, don’t do it!

2. emme November 17, 2009 at 2:20 pm #

holy guacamole!

3. Smile November 17, 2009 at 4:56 pm #

you could make a really big mushroom omelette with those 😉

4. brendan November 18, 2009 at 6:26 am #

you will DIE!

5. Carlos November 18, 2009 at 11:17 am #

Someone told me the other day that one of the signs that a mushroom is edible is a dark/black underbelly. Not sure if this is hard fact though. BAsed on that I wouldn’t eat those but my word what awesome braai steaks they would make – well seasoned and marinated in a thick BBQ sauce hmmmmmm

6. emme November 18, 2009 at 12:06 pm #

YUUUUUUM. (“i can see the pretty music”)

7. mol-d November 18, 2009 at 8:04 pm #

hey carlos,

i think it depends. we ate a killer omelette of mushrooms from a field at my friend’s farm in kokstad. they were great but the freshest ones were light pink on the underside…

8. shaggy November 19, 2009 at 11:30 pm #

I think those are parasol mushrooms from the family Macrolepiota. best is to get a book and do a definate ID before you eat!

9. savage November 24, 2009 at 5:20 pm #

i wonder if they are makowe (sp) they grow wild around here especially up the north coast. They also get really big and when cooked they taste apparently even better than porcini.
    Mouldy, i think you should have eaten them!

10. Travis December 21, 2010 at 10:02 am #

Those, as far as I know, are not edible. They are, however, from the Agaricales family, which includes the common field, button and giant black mushroom. But bear in mind this family also includes Amanita muscaria (Fly Agaric, mildly toxic and hallucinogenic) and Amanita phalloides (Death Cap, deadly poisonous).

So, I’d advice caution with these. I did once take a spore print from these (which you can do very easily but breaking off the stem and placing the head on a sheet of white papaer oveernight), and it came up a beautiful pale jade green.

These guys pop up infrequently all over Durban after rain, and seem to favour lawns where heavy deposits of grass clippings have mulched down over time. I’m not sure of their name.

11. Namari July 25, 2011 at 11:47 am #

This site is like a classroom, except I don’t hate it. lol

12. Neil August 1, 2011 at 2:17 pm #

Those look like parasol mushrooms, they are not ‘kowe at all. I usually find them under trees. I do not think thaey are edible.

13. mol-d August 3, 2011 at 9:58 am #

thanks for the info, neil… i won’t be making parasol risotto…

14. John September 2, 2011 at 9:10 pm #

In reply to Travis:
    These mushrooms are part of the Agaricus family which is a completely different species to the poisonous Amanita family. Most agaricus are edible however a few will give you an upset stomach, but none are deadly as in the Amanita family. The danger is in mistaking an Amanita for an Agaricus.

15. Silvia MAckay October 9, 2011 at 8:22 am #

Mahowe mushrooms are big and the outside is a light brown all over..underneath theyre white ..these are delicious and usually grow very fast after a thunderstorm or heavy rains..usually in sugar cane fields.

16. Peter Little December 11, 2011 at 6:56 pm #

They certainly look like the makowe mushrooms. Which can’t be grown commercilay as they normally germinate from termite nests. I believe they grow from the mulching that the termites produce for their underground gardens.Normally after thunderstorms.Obviously something to do with the excessive nitrogen caused by lightning, which is what they flush the commercial farms to control harvesting. They are considered a delicasy by many however I find they similar in flavour to the Oyster mushroom.

17. gaynor December 30, 2011 at 10:00 pm #

makowe mushrooms …..we live in Ashburton and this was found this morning….it is the most delightful mushroom to eat but cannot be cultivated they pop up after thunderstorms. Peter Little comments above are correct….. I have a photo of this one and hope to upload it for you guys

18. Vision_Thing December 2, 2016 at 1:51 pm #

Looks like (excuse the spelling) Ikowa …. they grow in the (old name) Trankei when the lightning is about ….. loved by the locals and often put of a braai and cooked like a steak