Aloe for ID please

Aloe found in garden, please identify

Aloe found in garden, please identify

I found this Aloe growing on an empty suburban plot in Cape Town. I would like to know which one it is. I was drawn to it by the color that is darker than the usual orange. The opening is a lime green/yellow.

10 Responses to Aloe for ID please

1. Smile October 26, 2009 at 8:23 am #

I wonder if its not a variation of the aloe tenuior? The flower seems similar to one I posted a while back, http://www.sprig.co.za/2009/02/another-aloe-post/

2. mol-d October 26, 2009 at 12:54 pm #

they look quite similar… any pictures of the leaves, smile? good work on your first blog posts, zelda!

3. Zelda W October 26, 2009 at 9:36 pm #

This is the best I can do with the leaves. I think they are pretty clear. The size is difficult to assess without having something to judge scale.The whole rosette of leaves is about 20-25cms in diameter. The bush itself is a scrambling sort of plant.

4. mol-d October 28, 2009 at 11:02 pm #

hi zelda, i meant it would have been good to have a view of the leaves on smile’s plant but i would say they are quite similar..

my guess is that it is aloe tenuior:

“The leaf margins have small teeth. Flowers are borne in slender, nodding racemes and may be red or yellow.”

5. Zelda W October 29, 2009 at 7:47 am #

Many thanks for the ID. I will try to grow from the slip I have. Do you know if there are any Aloe books for Identification purposes? For future reference.

6. Milez October 29, 2009 at 12:20 pm #

Guide to the Aloes of South Africa is a beautifully illustrated full-colour guide that makes it easy for both the layperson and scientist to identify aloes found in the field and in gardens.

7. zelda wahl November 16, 2009 at 10:28 pm #

Thanks for the info on the Aloe book.Nothing else to report. Had a very busy time with the Durbanville garden expo. We had a phenominal response. Lots of work and organisation though. I’m now looking for something different at our show. Maybe someone who specialises in an unusual plant. Any ideas for something indiginous that does well in the Cape Peninsula?

8. JennyE January 19, 2010 at 6:31 am #

It looks like Aloe Ciliaris. The hairy fringe at the base of the leaf goes all the way round

9. zelda Wahl January 29, 2010 at 10:25 am #

Hi Patrick
    The sample I photographed looks identical to your photo. I would think it is A. ciliaris

10. Alexander Dowding April 12, 2012 at 5:30 pm #

It is definitely Aloe ciliaris. I grew thirteen of them from seed that I collected from an old flower spike in my garden. They germinated so easily. I used a 3:1 mix of plain garden compost and coarse river sand for the base substrate and then scattered the seeds on the surface then just covered them with a thin layer of pure river sand. I got a 100% germination rate! They grow really fast too.