September Bush revisited

Mol-d, you beat me to the draw – I had just taken some photographs of the September Bush flowering in my garden.  I wonder if its called the September Bush because it flowers in September?  Anyway, it is a great plant to have in your garden and the bumble-bees seem to love the flowers.

September Bush revisited.

September Bush revisited.

Bumble-bee magnet!

Bumble-bee magnet!

7 Responses to September Bush revisited

1. mol-d September 9, 2009 at 3:17 pm #

your photos are better tho 😉 show how pretty the flower actually is.. called september bush in english, augustusbossie in afrikaans as its peak flower period is spring..

2. emme September 9, 2009 at 4:24 pm #

so one month gets lost in translation – that’s funny. the leaves look to me like protea leaves, don’t you think?

3. Smile September 9, 2009 at 4:31 pm #

I guess they do a bit – it may be a fynbos plant. Any botanists out there?

4. Sons September 9, 2009 at 4:51 pm #

This plant doesn’t seem to take kindly to being replanted… our loving gardener uprooted one that was doing swimmingly to move it a few feet in the flower bed. September bush became dead bush…

5. Jenny E November 24, 2010 at 6:53 am #

It is a fynbos bush (Polygala myrtifolia) an is plentiful in the Valley thicket of the East Cape. Will transplant if the plants are small and the roots are not broken

6. Alexander Dowding April 12, 2012 at 1:35 am #

The large bees that you see visiting the flowers aren’t technically bumblebees, sorry I’m a bit of a purist when it comes to taxonomy and I love to identify animals and plants as precisely as possible. They are in fact called Carpenter bees (genus Xylocopa) because they bore tunnels into wood and reeds with their powerful mouth parts and fill the resulting chamber with pollen that they collect from plants especially those of the pea family (Legumes) like Crotalaria, Virgilia (Keurbooms), Lessertia and Podalyria calyptrata. They even swarm busily around the exotic Wisteria sinensis that covers the pergola over the front patio of my parents house when it is in full bloom in early August.

7. mol-d April 12, 2012 at 9:14 am #

thanks for the added info, alexander. interesting stuff!