Who’s been eating my Halleria?

We got three Halleria Lucida plants at the plant fair last spring. Two are doing swimmingly, while the third seems to have been infected with a fungi, or eggs laid by little miggies… Have a look and compare the two pictures. Do you know what those little miggies are? The Halleria infected by them is sadly on its way out and I have no idea what to do about it.

7 Responses to Who’s been eating my Halleria?

1. Niall March 10, 2009 at 10:27 am #

Looks pretty weird Sons. Can you wipe off that oily substance or is it growing on the leaf? Have you tried spraying it with anything?

2. Sonya March 10, 2009 at 10:37 am #

Haven’t tried spraying it with anything, and that substance doesn’t wipe off. Also the little miggies are quite difficult to squish… They are horrible, I can only assume they are the cause of it.

Maybe I should spray it with some organic pesticide I have, either that or say goodbye Halleria.

3. emme March 10, 2009 at 11:01 am #

i once got this margaret roberts natural stuff – primary ingredient garlic – that worked wonders for white fly. the only draw back was that you had to spray the plant at dawn and the strong aroma of garlic was quite nauseating at that point of my day.

4. Niall McNulty March 10, 2009 at 11:08 am #

I’ve heard that you can also make a spray by soaking lavender in water. The insects dislike the intense aroma.

Or you could go all Buddhist and just accept that the insects will eat one of your plants so the other two can thrive 🙂

5. brendan March 16, 2009 at 8:30 pm #

it wasn’t me. probably an invader. kill it. KILLL IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Marie June 10, 2009 at 1:35 pm #

Every year I have a similar problem with my Halleria lucida (Gauteng) It looks like the plant is dying and all the leaves are stripped off the plant. I don’t know what it is that is eating it and I don’t spray it at all, but each time it gets new leaves again and comes back to its former glory. Maybe you will be just as lucky

7. Nikki January 8, 2013 at 10:58 am #

I’ve had a similar problem…
    We planted a hedge of halleria’s last year and since summer has started I’ve had oneplant discolour and drop leaves. I looked under the leaves and found these little spider looking things… so I thought it may be spider mite or a fungal rust.

It started to spread so I did spray it with Garden Ripcord, which is quite a harsh poison and it seems to have helped a bit. I’m going to find out from the local nursery what it is and treat it more organically.