River Indigo (not a hippie love child)

Despite a name that suggests a love child of the ’60s, River Indigo (Indigofera Frutescens) is a most practical small tree and a forest ‘starter’ that grows like lightening. I planted one to replace an exotic and thought it was going to take years to rise to the challenge. Eight months later it has almost tripled in size. It also is awash with the most beautiful dark pink to light pink flowers and has pretty much been flowering all spring and summer. It’s a lovely sight to behold. It likes a bit of shade, and apparently needs to be pruned after flowering has ended. I love my River Indigo, and it’s easy to forgive her her slightly dodgy name.

The super fast one

The super fast one

, ,

8 Responses to River Indigo (not a hippie love child)

1. Niall McNulty March 19, 2009 at 12:25 pm #

Hey Sons. I planted one of these at my mom’s house, back when I was living with them. It is a champion plant.

2. Ross March 20, 2009 at 12:41 pm #

This is one of my favourite trees for a small garden, I’ve actually just finished a garden where I’ve planted a grove of them, will have to write a post about it on Monday. Butterflies love them too…maybe there is something to the hippy name?

3. Dagmar March 24, 2009 at 5:29 pm #

Ok I know it’s off topic, but I had to share this BBC article about gardening with you all http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7952340.stm – Take care … ROFLOL

4. Niall McNulty March 25, 2009 at 10:14 am #

hey dags, we’re all about the gung-ho gardening 🙂

5. Jacqui November 1, 2010 at 3:10 pm #

I have just bought a River Indigo for my small garden and as a birthday gift. I liked the name, the look of the pretty tree and the delicate leaves. Plus hope it covers the bricks and outlook from my townhouse. And it attracts butterflies yipee! and hopefully some bees! Jacqui

6. Poppie December 18, 2010 at 3:04 pm #

I have been searching everywhere to buy a Rivier Indigo Tree, but they are nowhere to be found. Jacqui where did you buy your tree from? I live in the Western Cape.

7. Elephant's Eye December 18, 2010 at 10:40 pm #

There was a huge tree growing at the Kirstenbosch nursery, where I bought a plant years ago. You know – I’ll have one of those thanks.

8. Jacqui January 11, 2011 at 12:24 pm #

Hi Poppie,

I bought my River Indigo at the Witkoppen Wild Flower or Indigenous Nursery in Jozi. I am sure if you try an indigenous nursery they could assist you or maybe ask at the Botanical Gardens perhas. Good luck. My little indigo now has lots of lovey little pink flobers. It is such a pretty tree and also straight after i platned it some of the small birds started arriving. best wishes Jacqui