At the moment I am not growing any food (apart from Spekboom I guess) but I would like to start a small vegetable/herb garden. I am also interested in organic gardening but don’t really know much about it.
I came across these courses offered by Dovehouse Organic Farms and think I may attend one. Has anyone gone to them? Anyone want to come with me?
From their promotional material:
The aim of these courses is to introduce the learners to the subjects and to provide the learners with the necessary hands on skills to implement the techniques for themselves. Course manuals are supplied with each workshop.
1. The how to of worm farming
2. Preparation of homemade organic liquid fertilizers
3. Preparation of biological inoculants for the garden and composting systems
4. The how to of organic compost production
5. Plants you can grow for compost making
Companion planting w/shop
1. Introduction to companion planting and viewing examples in the gardens
2. Pest and disease management through companion planting
3. Hands on companion planting exercises
4. How to work with your companion plants
Introduction to plant propagation techniques
1. Plant propagation systems i.e. Nursery’s, Irrigation, Propagation beds
2. Hands on propagation exercises
3. Seed saving techniques
Introduction to permaculture garden design and bed preparation
1. Energy efficient design ideas i.e. runoff water, wind, sun
2. Garden pioneering steps
3. Cultivation techniques
4. Bed preparation
Email them on firstname.lastname@example.org.