Ipomoea

I picked up this interesting-looking pot plant last week at the Shongweni Farmers Market (for a cool R100!).  The guy selling it didn’t have much information for me but could tell me it was part of the Ipomoea family.

From Wikipedia, “The genus Ipomoea (Greek Ips, Ipos, worm or bindweed and Homoeos, resembling, referring to the twining habit) is the largest in the family Convolvulaceae, with over 500 species. Most of these are called “morning glories”, but this can refer to related genera also. The genus occurs throughout the tropical and subtropical regions of the world, and comprises annual and perennial herbaceous plants, lianas, shrubs and small trees; most of the species are twining climbing plants.”

After a bit of Googling, I think it may be Ipomoea lapathifolia as the leaf structure looks similar … check it out here.

Ipomoea?

Ipomoea?

, ,

6 Responses to Ipomoea

1. mol-d March 11, 2009 at 8:36 pm #

cool plant..

2. Bihrmann January 11, 2011 at 9:23 pm #

Dear Niall.
    I would guess on Turbina holubii:
    http://www.bihrmann.com/caudiciforms/subs/tur-hol-sub.asp witch have the old synonyme Ipomoea holubii, Baker 1894.
    Nice looking plant, good luck with it.

3. Donna January 28, 2011 at 3:01 am #

Very cool! I’m getting into growing the caudiciform ipomoeas and other plants. Has it bloomed for you yet?

4. Niall January 28, 2011 at 9:13 am #

not yet … and I’ve had it for two years! wonder if I need to feed it something as its living in a pot.

5. mol-d January 28, 2011 at 2:39 pm #

set it free!

6. mary March 3, 2012 at 3:19 pm #

Thanks for the info.!!!!! I have just bought the Epomea( on the label) from Mabula Lifestyle Centre on the Warmbaths Road for R40.00!!!!! I had no idea what it really was but there was one plant in flower and it had Morning Glory type flowers and the lady at the Nursery said it was a type of Morning Glory species.I just had to buy it as it looked and sounded so interesting. The nursery lady mentioned that the flowers only last a day. Must be in a north facing position and protected in winter on the Highveld.
    Amazing what you find…….